Are there books about C data structures?

Mik0b0

Hallo to everyone.
This fall I am going to start data structures as a part of C language
course. The problem is I could not find any satisfying tutorial about
structures in C. There are plenty of books about data structures in C+
+ etc., could anyone please recommend me such a C -specific book ? And
another question: are data structures (like stack, structure etc.)
used in C++ identical to those in C and is it possible to use C++
books to learn about the structures in C?

user923005

Hallo to everyone.
This fall I am going to start data structures as a part of C language
course. The problem is I could not find any satisfying tutorial about
structures in C. There are plenty of books about data structures in C+
+ etc., could anyone please recommend me such a C -specific book ?
"Data Structures and Algorithm Analysis in C (Second Edition)"
by Mark Allen Weiss
ISBN: 0-201-49840-5
And
another question: are data structures (like stack, structure etc.)
used in C++ identical to those in C

No. In C++ we have templates. C has nothing like that.
and is it possible to use C++
books to learn about the structures in C?

Will you read an airplane manual to understand your car?
The approach for a data structure in C++ will not be like the approach
in C.

Robert Gamble

Hallo to everyone.
This fall I am going to start data structures as a part of C language
course. The problem is I could not find any satisfying tutorial about
structures in C. There are plenty of books about data structures in C+
+ etc., could anyone please recommend me such a C -specific book ?

I would recommend "Algorithms in C" by Robert Sedgewick. Part 1-4
cover Fundamentals, Data Structures, Sort, and Searching
respectively. Part 5 is a separate volume and focuses on Graphs, the
two volumes are available separately or as a bundle. The text is
fairly comprehensive and very well written and the dialog should be
easy to follow for an undergraduate student. The code is all well-
written C90 and is clear and concise, the author does a good job of
taking advantage of common C idioms and practices that you can use in
the real world.

Robert Gamble

Chris McDonald

Mik0b0 said:
Hallo to everyone.
This fall I am going to start data structures as a part of C language
course. The problem is I could not find any satisfying tutorial about
structures in C. There are plenty of books about data structures in C+
+ etc., could anyone please recommend me such a C -specific book ? And
another question: are data structures (like stack, structure etc.)
used in C++ identical to those in C and is it possible to use C++
books to learn about the structures in C?

I'm currently reading through:

http://www.course.com/catalog/produ...S2 Data Structures - C&isbn=978-0-534-39080-8

Data Structures: A Pseudocode Approach with C, Second Edition

Richard Gilberg, Behrouz Forouzan
ISBN 13: 978-0-534-39080-8 (C) 2005
ISBN 10: 0-534-39080-3
Publish date: October 11, 2004
672 pages
Hardcover

No opinions just yet....

Dr Chris McDonald E: (e-mail address removed)
Computer Science & Software Engineering W: http://www.csse.uwa.edu.au/~chris
The University of Western Australia, M002 T: +618 6488 2533
Crawley, Western Australia, 6009 F: +618 6488 1089

Ravishankar S

Mik0b0 said:
Hallo to everyone.
This fall I am going to start data structures as a part of C language
course. The problem is I could not find any satisfying tutorial about
structures in C. There are plenty of books about data structures in C+
+ etc., could anyone please recommend me such a C -specific book ? And
another question: are data structures (like stack, structure etc.)
used in C++ identical to those in C and is it possible to use C++
books to learn about the structures in C?

Data Structures and Program Analysis in C - Robert Kruse,Clovis Tondo.
This could be the ideal book for you.

Spiros Bousbouras

"Data Structures and Algorithm Analysis in C (Second Edition)"
by Mark Allen Weiss
ISBN: 0-201-49840-5

Is this C ? I'm asking because I just checked the reviews
on amazon.com and several say that the examples are in C++.
They were probably commenting on the wrong book but I want
to make sure.

osmium

Spiros Bousbouras said:
Is this C ? I'm asking because I just checked the reviews
on amazon.com and several say that the examples are in C++.
They were probably commenting on the wrong book but I want
to make sure.

Without spending the entire day on this, the only book on Amazon by Weiss
that I could find has C++ in the *title*. IOW, I couldn't even *find* the
book with the title listed above. How about providing a link to the reviews
you mentioned?

Spiros Bousbouras

Without spending the entire day on this, the only book on Amazon by Weiss
that I could find has C++ in the *title*. IOW, I couldn't even *find* the
book with the title listed above. How about providing a link to the reviews
you mentioned?

There you go
http://tinyurl.com/2cxygn

Romulo Carneiro

Hallo to everyone.
This fall I am going to start data structures as a part of C language
course. The problem is I could not find any satisfying tutorial about
structures in C. There are plenty of books about data structures in C+
+ etc., could anyone please recommend me such a C -specific book ? And
another question: are data structures (like stack, structure etc.)
used in C++ identical to those in C and is it possible to use C++
books to learn about the structures in C?

I have a book...
i'm going to send to your email.

Richard

Richard Heathfield said:
Spiros Bousbouras said:

See http://www.cs.fiu.edu/~weiss/dsaa_c2e/files.html

Please bear in mind that typical Amazon reviewers can't even spell C,
let alone recognise C source code.

Clearly not the case and I have found many peer reviews on Amazon for
technical books to be very illuminating, What do you do when you are not
putting other people down and blowing up your own self importance?

osmium

Spiros Bousbouras said:

Why that book didn't show up on my search is puzzling, also the heavy dose
of comments WRT C++ are puzzling too. After scanning those reviews, I would
certainly consider this book as a last resort to buy. But I am opposed to
the general notion of language oriented books anyway, they use the language
du jour. Algorithms are permanent, languages are transient. I really
wouldn't want to struggle through a Fortran oriented book because that was
in fashion when I went to school. I think pseudocode or a "teaching
language" Algol or Pascal - - and a *lot* of drawings - should be used to
teach these things.

My favorite book for a beginner is probably unobtainable. _Data Structures
with Abstract Data Types and Pascal_, by Daniel F Stubbs, et al.

Kenny McCormack

Clearly not the case and I have found many peer reviews on Amazon for
technical books to be very illuminating, What do you do when you are not
putting other people down and blowing up your own self importance?[/QUOTE]

There isn't any time left in the day. 12 hours every day of smashing
newbies and 12 hours every day of blowing up his own self importance
doesn't leave any *time* for anything else.

Christopher Benson-Manica

[comp.lang.c] osmium said:
Without spending the entire day on this, the only book on Amazon by Weiss
that I could find has C++ in the *title*. IOW, I couldn't even *find* the
book with the title listed above. How about providing a link to the reviews
you mentioned?

A search on "Mark Allen Weiss" brings up several of his books,
including "Efficient C Programming", which I found to be helpful and
accurate (although I can't say I've subjected it to intense scrutiny).

Kevin Bagust

osmium said:
Why that book didn't show up on my search is puzzling, also the heavy dose
of comments WRT C++ are puzzling too. After scanning those reviews, I would
certainly consider this book as a last resort to buy.

If you look at the three review on the first page it says:

This review is from: Data Structures and Algorithm Analysis in C++
(2nd Edition) (Paperback)

So it is amazon coping the review from one book to another, by the same
author with a very similar name.

Kevin.

user923005

Why that book didn't show up on my search is puzzling, also the heavy dose
of comments WRT C++ are puzzling too. After scanning those reviews, I would
certainly consider this book as a last resort to buy. But I am opposed to
the general notion of language oriented books anyway, they use the language
du jour. Algorithms are permanent, languages are transient. I really
wouldn't want to struggle through a Fortran oriented book because that was
in fashion when I went to school. I think pseudocode or a "teaching
language" Algol or Pascal - - and a *lot* of drawings - should be used to
teach these things.

My favorite book for a beginner is probably unobtainable. _Data Structures
with Abstract Data Types and Pascal_, by Daniel F Stubbs, et al.

Dan Stubbs was a frequent poster here (with a lot of ability), and so
I guess that book would be very good.

Weiss is excellent, and the idiot reviews do not tarnish the excellent
nature of the book.

Probably, the best book to learn algorithms and data structures is the
CLR book.
I have all of Sedgewick's books and they are good (though some of his
code won't compile).
I also have Budd's books and I like them.
I have "Mastering Algorithms with C" but it is really a raw beginner
book, and so the title is very misleading.

Every programmer on earth should own his own set of TAOCP.

Malcolm McLean

osmium said:
But I am opposed to the general notion of language oriented books anyway,
they use the language du jour. Algorithms are permanent, languages are
transient.
If you use a very conservative subset of C then you solve most of the
problems, but not all of them, because standards committees sometimes break
perfectly good constructs.
The snag with pseudocode is that it is much harder to get out bugs.

Keith Thompson

osmium said:
Without spending the entire day on this, the only book on Amazon by Weiss
that I could find has C++ in the *title*. IOW, I couldn't even *find* the
book with the title listed above. How about providing a link to the reviews
you mentioned?

Amazon lets you search on the ISBN, 0-201-49840-5.