ARG! Anchors not working locally?

Heather

Hi all,

I'm working on a site on a CD, standard html stuff, with anchors in a few of
the documents. You know, <a name="anchorname"></a> in the doc, and <a
href="page.html#anchorname">Link</a> in the index.

This all works great on a server on the 'net, but you stick it on a CD and
try to browse that locally the way you would any old site, and the anchors
don't work. Does anyone know why this is or know a workaround for it? It's
not making much sense to me; it's open in IE the same as any other site, the
links should still work. Right?

Anyway, any help would be very appreciated! To email me, be sure to remove
the *nospam* from the reply address.

Heather

Michael Weber

Hi Heather,

[Tue, 4 Nov 2003 14:21:23 -0500/Heather]
Hi all,

I'm working on a site on a CD, standard html stuff, with anchors in a few of
the documents. You know, <a name="anchorname"></a> in the doc, and <a
href="page.html#anchorname">Link</a> in the index.

This all works great on a server on the 'net, but you stick it on a CD and
try to browse that locally the way you would any old site, and the anchors
don't work. Does anyone know why this is or know a workaround for it? It's
not making much sense to me; it's open in IE the same as any other site, the
links should still work. Right?

Have anything inside the anchor. EG ...>&nbsp;</a>.

regs
michael

Heather

Michael Weber said:
Hi Heather,
Have anything inside the anchor. EG ...>&nbsp;</a>.

regs
michael

Hey Michael,

Nope, nothing. Here's an example of one straight from the code:

In the target doc:

In the index doc:

Like I said, works great uploaded to a server, just not on a cd or locally.
Trouble is, this has to work on a cd. ;)

I hate it when I don't know why things aren't working. ;)

Heather

Jukka K. Korpela

Heather said:
I'm working on a site on a CD,

I guess you need to make your CD internet accessible then - or maybe explain
exactly what you have been doing. Let me guess... some <base> tags perhaps?
Or case confusion in filenames?

You could at least have posted the URL of the site that works on a server,
and of a page that fails on a CD. Maybe upload a copy of the CD version too.
To email me, be sure to
remove the *nospam* from the reply address.

O sancta simplicitas.

Christopher R

Heather said:
Hi all,

I'm working on a site on a CD, standard html stuff, with anchors in a few of
the documents. You know, <a name="anchorname"></a> in the doc, and <a
href="page.html#anchorname">Link</a> in the index.

Do you have internet access when you are working on your local machine? If
yes, this would suggest you look at your folder structure.

On the local machine are all your files in the same folder? Do a test with
just a couple of files in the same folder and see if you are still having
the same problem.

Hope this helps.