    won't allow the following:

    QuadTree<MyNodeType> [] allQuadTrees;

    Anyone know why this is the case?
    Peter Ashford, Oct 3, 2004

  2. Peter Ashford <> writes:

    > Eclipse tells me that arrays of generic types are not legal, e.g.: it
    > won't allow the following:
    >
    > QuadTree<MyNodeType> [] allQuadTrees;

    Do you use a version of Eclipse that supports JDK 1.5/5.0?

    From http://www.eclipse.org/jdt/index.html:

    "J2SE 1.5 support was *not* officially scheduled for Eclipse 3.0
    release, since J2SE 1.5 was not finalized before 3.0 release date,
    and we did not want to jeopardize the 3.0 release by integrating
    beta quality tooling. In parallel to the 3.0 effort, we were still
    implementing an experimental version of JDT Core with 1.5 support
    (mostly focusing on adding generics support to Eclipse Java
    compiler). You may find details and previews of our ongoing effort
    (codename "Cheetah") in our update area."

    However, it seems this "experimental" support has been improved in
    3.0.1 which is the latest public release.
    Tor Iver Wilhelmsen, Oct 3, 2004

  3. Peter Ashford

    IchBin Guest

    Peter Ashford wrote:
    > Eclipse tells me that arrays of generic types are not legal, e.g.: it
    > won't allow the following:
    >
    > QuadTree<MyNodeType> [] allQuadTrees;
    >
    > Anyone know why this is the case?

    Depends on what version of eclipse you are running. Also they do not
    have full JDK 1.5 support yet.

    Better to Post to Eclipse newsgroup: news.eclipse.org's eclipse.platform

    --

    Thanks in Advance...
    IchBin

    'Laughter is inner jogging'
    - Norman Cousins, editor and author (1915-1990)
    IchBin, Oct 4, 2004
  4. Tor Iver Wilhelmsen wrote:
    > Peter Ashford <> writes:
    >

    >>Eclipse tells me that arrays of generic types are not legal, e.g.: it
    >>won't allow the following:
    >>
    >>QuadTree<MyNodeType> [] allQuadTrees;

    > Do you use a version of Eclipse that supports JDK 1.5/5.0?
    >
    > From http://www.eclipse.org/jdt/index.html:
    >
    > "J2SE 1.5 support was *not* officially scheduled for Eclipse 3.0
    > release, since J2SE 1.5 was not finalized before 3.0 release date,
    > and we did not want to jeopardize the 3.0 release by integrating
    > beta quality tooling. In parallel to the 3.0 effort, we were still
    > implementing an experimental version of JDT Core with 1.5 support
    > (mostly focusing on adding generics support to Eclipse Java
    > compiler). You may find details and previews of our ongoing effort
    > (codename "Cheetah") in our update area."
    >
    > However, it seems this "experimental" support has been improved in
    > 3.0.1 which is the latest public release.

    I'm using the cheetah plugin which provides generics support. Eclipse
    is not complaining about the use of generics - my code is littered with
    it - it is complaing just about arrays of generic types.
    Peter Ashford, Oct 6, 2004