ASCII Menu in Ruby, is it possible?

Ruby Student

Hello Team,

Is there a way in Ruby to create primitive ASCII menus?
At this point I am shying away from GUI as everything outthere, in the GUI
world is too....
I just want to know if I can create simple menus of the type:

1 - Enter 1 and press Enter to continue
2 - Enter 2 or X and press Enter to exit
3 - Etc.

Thank you

Jason Roelofs

Did you try anything or just jump straight here to ask?

puts "1. Do something here"
puts "2. I want this"
puts "3. Hmm"

x = gets

case x
when "1"
when "2"
when "3"
end

Unless you're not including enough detail for a proper answer, a quick
jaunt through any Ruby book/tutorial/website would get you at least
this far.

Jason

Justin Collins

Ruby said:
Hello Team,

Is there a way in Ruby to create primitive ASCII menus?
At this point I am shying away from GUI as everything outthere, in the GUI
world is too....
I just want to know if I can create simple menus of the type:

1 - Enter 1 and press Enter to continue
2 - Enter 2 or X and press Enter to exit
3 - Etc.

Thank you
Sure you can.

For example:

def menu
loop do
puts "1. Do something", "2. Do something else", "3. Nevermind"

input = gets.strip

case input
when "1"
puts "Did something"
when "2"
puts "Did something else"
when "3"
puts "Bye!"
return
else
puts "Invalid option: #{input}"
end
end
end

menu

-Justin

Eleanor McHugh

Hello Team,

Is there a way in Ruby to create primitive ASCII menus?
At this point I am shying away from GUI as everything outthere, in
the GUI
world is too....
I just want to know if I can create simple menus of the type:

1 - Enter 1 and press Enter to continue
2 - Enter 2 or X and press Enter to exit
3 - Etc.

Thank you

You can find an example of doing this with the termios library by
following the link in my sig and reading the Camping presentation. For
more advanced text-based GUIs you could look at ncurses and highline.

Ellie

Eleanor McHugh
Games With Brains
http://slides.games-with-brains.net

Ruby Student

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 3:12 PM, Eleanor McHugh <
You can find an example of doing this with the termios library by following
the link in my sig and reading the Camping presentation. For more advanced
text-based GUIs you could look at ncurses and highline.

Ellie

Eleanor McHugh
Games With Brains
http://slides.games-with-brains.net

Eleanor,

Thank you for your help. It is highly appreciated!

Ruby Student

Sure you can.

For example:

def menu
loop do
puts "1. Do something", "2. Do something else", "3. Nevermind"

input = gets.strip

case input
when "1"
puts "Did something"
when "2"
puts "Did something else"
when "3"
puts "Bye!"
return else puts "Invalid option: #{input}"
end end
end

menu

-Justin

Dear Jason,

YES, I did first performed a google search, which is this:

"ruby" "menu" "ASCII menu"

and the above gave me this:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q="ruby"+"menu"+"ASCII+menu"&start=30&sa=N

As a routine, I religiously perform first a good search. I also traverse the
gems repository. Then I come to the forum.
That been said, I appreciate your answer and justin answer. I truly
appreciate your help.
It was far from my mind using gets to perform this task.

Again, thank you!

James Gray

Igor Pirnovar

If you are planning to do some data entry checking on Linux platforms
you may need to set the STDOUT.sync = true. I am including a simple
program to show you the difference. Indeed on MS Windows you will not
experience any difference if you comment out "STDOUT.sync = true"; on
Linux if buffering is turned on you will!
STDOUT.sync = true

#!/usr/bin/env ruby

STDOUT.sync = true # (cross-platform compatibility issue)

loop do
print "\n\n\tPLEASE SELECT:\n\n"
print "\t\t(1) ..... enter one number\n"
print "\t\t(2) ..... enter two numbers "
print "(no seoarators like commas, ...)\n"
print "\t\t(Q) ..... Quit\n\n"
print "\tPlease select one of the above: "
answer = gets
printf "You've selected %s\n", answer

case answer.chomp
when "1"
num = nil
while num !~ /\d+.*[^\d]*/
print "Please enter a single number: "
num = gets
num.chomp! # note exclamation mark (!)
if num.split(/\s+/).size != 1|| num !~ /\d+/
puts "You should have entered a single number not [#{num}]"
print "Press <Enter> to continue "
any = gets
else
puts "Thank you for [#{num}]."
end
end
when "2"
num = nil
while num !~ /\d+[\s,]+\d+/
print "Please enter two numbers: "
num = gets
num.chomp! # note exclamation mark (!)
if num.split(/\s+/).size != 2 || num !~ /\d+\s+\d+/
puts "You must enter two numbers number, not [#{num}]"
print "Press <Enter> to continue "
any = gets
else
puts "Thank you for [#{num}]."
end
end
when /q|Q/
exit
else
print "Illegal selection; Please try again! "
[...]

I truly appreciate the abundance of suggestions from everyone. I will try
every suggestion and pick one!

Thank you