    "start of code" characters "<%" show up on the very first line. Hey! That's
    not supposed to happen, is it?

    BTW: I'm a Classic ASP newbie.

    jp2code, Aug 6, 2007

  2. "jp2code" <poojo.com/mail> wrote in message
    > Is there any way to tell if the server is processing my asp?
    > http://www.joeswelding.biz/mail/index2.htm
    >
    > If you look at the page above, you will immediately see that my asp code

    is
    > filling my text boxes.
    >
    > If you go a step further and view the source, you will see that the asp
    > "start of code" characters "<%" show up on the very first line. Hey!

    That's
    > not supposed to happen, is it?
    >
    > BTW: I'm a Classic ASP newbie.

    ASP will process ASP files. Change your file extenstion from htm to asp.

    --
    Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET

    Anthony Jones, Aug 6, 2007

  3. jp2code

    jp2code Guest

    Ah! Ok.

    Does this rule apply to web pages that start with a code section only, or do
    small "script-lets" (like example below) also require the page to have an
    asp extension?

    Ex:
    <b>The current date is <%=Date()%> and the current time is <%=Time()%>.</b>

    Thanks for helping!
    Joe

    jp2code, Aug 6, 2007
  4. "jp2code" wrote:
    > Does this rule apply to web pages that start with a code section only,
    > or do small "script-lets" (like example below) also require the page
    > to have an asp extension?
    >
    > Ex:
    > <b>The current date is <%=Date()%> and the current time is
    > <%=Time()%>.</b>

    If you want asp.dll to parse the script, it needs an extension that IIS is
    configured to parse with asp.dll. By default, this extension is .asp, but
    you can configure the server to parse other extensions that way as well.

    --
    Dave Anderson

    Dave Anderson, Aug 6, 2007
  5. jp2code

    jp2code Guest

    Changed some code and added the .asp extension:

    http://www.joeswelding.biz/mail/index2.asp

    The only error I get is Microsoft's HTTP 500 Internal Server Error page.

    How would I debug something like this?

    jp2code, Aug 7, 2007
  6. jp2code wrote:
    > Changed some code and added the .asp extension:
    >
    > http://www.joeswelding.biz/mail/index2.asp
    >
    > The only error I get is Microsoft's HTTP 500 Internal Server Error
    > page.
    >
    > How would I debug something like this?

    Turn off Friendly Errors in your browser:
    http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2109

    Then use the aspfaq site and google to search for your error messages.
    You can usually help yourself this way.

    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Aug 7, 2007