ASP dotnet question - mouseover

Steve Chatham

I am moving some reports generated from a traditional ASP page to asp
dotnet.

In doing so, I have a listbox with x number of items in there. I've been
asked to change the names somewhat to reflect what the actual report has in
it, rather than its old cryptic DOS name was. In doing this, I was hoping I
could do something like a Mouseover on the item name in the listbox.

I thought dotnet had a way of tying a long(er) description to some of these
things, but can't find it. Anyone know how to maybe "define" some of these
listbox items?

Thanks

SC

Chris Jackson

Keep in mind that ASP.NET can give you all of the power of DHTML, and no
more. It can add cool features on the server, but in the end, all it does is
spit out text that a browser can render. So, consider what the browser can
do for you to divine the best solution.

Obviously, you can implement a separate text and value option, so you can
show human-readable options, but store the values behind the scenes that you
can use. The rest of the tricks you can do with styles and mouseover events,
if you want to display a tooltip or populate another control.