ASP/HTML client layout / design

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by John Spiegel, Dec 3, 2004.

  1. John Spiegel

    John Spiegel Guest

    Hi all,

    I'm hoping to get some pointers to resources. I'm a long time Windows
    programmer who's been in the past year or two dabbling/reading/practicing
    ASP.NET-based Web apps. The problems I keep running into are more front end
    layout issues. A specific example is how to set a static size of one table
    cell while setting the next to absorb whatever space is left. I've had a
    case where setting the widths to 100px and 100% on these columns still takes
    up closer to 200px for the first column.

    Of the half-dozen Web development books I've read, they all give the
    "mechanics in a vacuum" telling me that this setting is used for that
    scenario (if you want your width proportional to screen, use %, otherwise
    use px). But my biggest challenge always seems to come down to issues where
    the combination of techniques doesn't do as I'd expect or I do something
    like setting an attribute to left-align something and it appears to center
    it anyway.

    Any recommendations on books or sites with the tips, tricks, workarounds and
    other ugly details of getting your page to show the way you want it to?

    TIA,

    John
    John Spiegel, Dec 3, 2004

  2. John,

    As you probably already know, when it comes to column widths, the browser
    treats your instructions as recommendations. You can sometimes trick it
    though. When I want one column to take exactly width of the widest word in
    it and the other column to absorb the rest, I set the first column width to
    1px and the second to 100%. Works perfectly in IE.

    Eliyahu

    Eliyahu Goldin, Dec 5, 2004

  3. John Spiegel

    John Spiegel Guest

    Hi Eliyahu,

    Thanks for responding. In the specific case, I had tried varying the
    explicit size but not down to a single pixel. I'll give it a shot.

    Have you found any good resources that delve into these sort of
    considerations, i.e., client design? All I seem to find seem to treat the
    layout of the page as nothing more than an excuse to then return to the
    server-side programming.

    Thanks again,

    John

    John Spiegel, Dec 6, 2004