    Any tips for a newbie??
    Thanks
    Leslie

    les, Jul 5, 2003

  2. les

    David Waz... Guest

    uh, no that's not how to do it! :)

    <asp:LinkButton id="link1" runat=server />

    then, in your code-behind:

    at top:
    Protected link1 as LinkButton

    and finally, within your code - one way to do this:

    link1.text=o_dataRow.item("WebSite")

    That's it...

    PS: this is pretty basic stuff, not complicated. Glad to answer this kind
    of stuff, but you should have been able to find this in ANY beginner book on
    ASP.Net stuff. You should get and read one of um...

    David Waz..., Jul 6, 2003

  3. Well it could be as simple as this:
    <asp:literal id="litWebsite" runat="server"><a href='whatever.aspx'>click
    here</a></asp:literal>

    Or you could put a hyperlink web server control in there, etc.

    --
    I hope this helps,
    Steve C. Orr, MCSD

    <les> wrote in message news:...
    > Thanks Steve, but how would you do this?
    >
    > <asp:literal id="litWebsite" runat="server">???????????</asp:literal>
    >
    > On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 15:58:00 -0700, "Steve C. Orr, MCSD"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Try doing it the other way around: enclosing your hyperlink in between

    the

    Steve C. Orr, MCSD, Jul 6, 2003
  4. les

    les Guest

    Thanks David, but believe me I have searched everywhere for this!
    Maybe its so basic that I can't see it. I managed to include links in
    datagrid pages with no problem, but this is doing my head in.

    The code here shows my data on the page sucessfully, but could you
    show me how I amend it to show the link. Also, some fields are long
    text with carriage returns. How do I show these properly formatted?
    Thanks again
    Leslie

    =============================

    <script runat="server">
    Sub Page_Load (sender As Object, e As EventArgs)
    Dim conn As OleDbConnection
    Dim cmd As OleDbCommand
    Dim rdr As OleDbDataReader
    Dim strId As String
    Dim strSQL As String
    strId = Request.QueryString("id")

    Conn = New OleDbConnection ("PROVIDER=SQLOLEDB;
    server=servername;database=briefings;User Id=;Password=;")
    Conn.open

    strSQL = "SELECT * FROM Briefings WHERE id = " & strId & " "
    cmd = New OleDbCommand(strSQL, conn)
    rdr = cmd.ExecuteReader
    If rdr.Read Then
    litid.Text = rdr.Item("id")
    litTitle.Text = rdr.Item("Title")
    litEmail.Text = rdr.Item("Email")
    litAddDate.Text = Format(rdr.Item("AddDate"), "dd-MMM-yyyy")
    litContact.Text = rdr.Item("Contact")
    litDetails.Text = rdr.Item("Details")
    litAuthor.Text = rdr.Item("Author")
    litWebsite.Text = rdr.Item("Website")

    Else
    litID.Text = "ID '" & strId & "' not found"
    End If
    rdr.Close
    cmd.Dispose
    conn.Close
    End Sub

    </script>
    ================================

    Then in the html:
    <asp:literal id="litWebsite" runat="server"></asp:literal>

    ================================

    les, Jul 6, 2003
  5. les

    les Guest

    Thanks. I found another way to do it using:

    litWebsite.text = "<A HREF='" + rdr.Item("Website") + "'>" +
    rdr.Item("Website") + "</A>"

    and in the html:
    <asp:literal id="litWebsite" runat="server"></asp:literal>

    But I will keep your answer for next time :)

    By the way I already have a book: "Web database development step by
    step" by Jim Buyens. I have found it very useful, having come from
    asp, just starting out with .net. Also I just discovered Web Matrix
    which is good for editing.

    Thanks again
    Leslie

    les, Jul 6, 2003
  6. les

    David Waz... Guest

    That'll work - but it's ugly! (MHO) ;-)

    I wish you would try the .Net way - you'll learn something new, and not get
    into bad habits.

    <les> wrote in message news:...
> [...]

    > >> cmd = New OleDbCommand(strSQL, conn)
    > >> rdr = cmd.ExecuteReader
    > >> If rdr.Read Then
    > >> litid.Text = rdr.Item("id")
    > >> litTitle.Text = rdr.Item("Title")
    > >> litEmail.Text = rdr.Item("Email")
    > >> litAddDate.Text = Format(rdr.Item("AddDate"), "dd-MMM-yyyy")
    > >> litContact.Text = rdr.Item("Contact")
    > >> litDetails.Text = rdr.Item("Details")
    > >> litAuthor.Text = rdr.Item("Author")
    > >> litWebsite.Text = rdr.Item("Website")
    > >>
    > >> Else
    > >> litID.Text = "ID '" & strId & "' not found"
    > >> End If
    > >> rdr.Close
    > >> cmd.Dispose
    > >> conn.Close
    > >> End Sub
    > >>
    > >> </script>
    > >> ================================
    > >>
    > >> Then in the html:
    > >> <asp:literal id="litWebsite" runat="server"></asp:literal>

    ..

    David Waz..., Jul 6, 2003
  7. You could do something along those lines if you made, say, a datatable a
    static member. That's key -- has to be static to be callable:

    <%=this.StaticDataTable.Rows[0]["Website"].ToString()%> or something like
    that...

    Or make the row static:

    <%=this.StaticRow["Website"].ToString()%>

    So your accessors would look like this:

    public static DataTable StaticDataTable()
    {
    // Load your data, returning the datatable.
    }

    public static DataRow StaticRow()
    {
    // Load your data, get the row and return it.
    }

    But I don't think you could do it with a reader. Anyone correct me if I'm
    wrong on that.

    If you're looking for something that repeats, and will accept your
    formatting and the like given a datareader, take a look at the Repeater web
    control.

    Luck!

    msnews.microsoft.com, Jul 14, 2003