ASP.Net 2.0 Uninstall

Steve Cross

I have a problem with ASP.Net 2.0 that I think needs a re-install. When I
go to the control panel and try to uninstall, the Microsoft .Net Framework
2.0 Setup dialog comes up and tells me the wizard is about to guide me
through the installation process. As soon as I hit next I get a brief
screen that is asking me to agree to a license agreement but before I can
chek the box it flashes to the next screen and tells me:

The folling error occurred during setup:

The installation package or a needed file could not be opened. Verify that
the package exists and that you can access it.

The only button I have is the Finish button.

I have tried to manually uninstall and reinstall ASP.Net 2.0 with the
aspnet_regiis tool and that appears to work but the issue persists. The
site using ASP.Net 2.0 also continues to work. The only reason I noticed
the error in the first place was the machine's refusal to install a security
patch to ASP.Net 2.0.

Can anyone direct me to either a fresh copy of the install package and
instructions on how to replace it or possibly an ASP.Net cleaner package
that will allow me to clean ASP.Net 2.0 from the system for a re-install?

Thanks!

Steve

Guest

I think we might be confusing "ASP.NET 2.0" with the .NET Framework 2.0,
which "includes" ASP.NET 2.0 here.

A simple google search will find the download as the very first item in the
search results:

http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&q=.NET+Framework+2.0+Download

If you think your issue is something that requires an install, you can just
try reinstalling the framework first without doing an uninstall. It may
prompt you to "repair" - I don't remembers. Otherwise, there are command line
switches that will extract the missing .msi file you talk about.
Peter

Steve Cross

Thanks Peter.

I downloaded the dotnetfx.exe file and as soon as I started it I got the
exact same response that I've already detailed.

Thanks for trying!

Steve

Steve Cross

Thanks again. Installed all files to
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0

Still getting same result.

Was that what you were suggesting? Refreshing all files from the package to
the directory?

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0

That is not the correct install path.

The correct install path is :

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727

Try uninstalling the .Net Framework 2.0, and reinstalling it to the correct directory.

You should be able to uninstall it via "Start Button", "Settings",
"Control Panel" and "Add or Remove Programs".

If the .Net Framework 2.0 isn't listed there, I can give you instructions
on how to remove it manually, but first check to see if you can instruct
it through the "add or Remove" Control Panel applet.

After you do that... reinstall it, after a reboot.

Steve Cross

Thank you for your post.

My original problem is that I cannot uninstall with the control panel.

I have detailed the actual issue in the first message in this thread.

I appreciate iny info you have on manually unistalling the Framework.

Steve

Juan T. Llibre

To uninstall a product after it's gone from the "Add/Remove Programs" list, or if uninstalling it
from there doesn't work, besides using msiexec /x, open Windows Explorer, navigate to
your windows installation directory ( \windows or \winnt or \whatever ); highlight the directory
and select, from the Explorer menu, "Tools"; and then "Folder Options" and "View";
then *deselect* "Hide protected operating system files" and select "Show hidden files and folders".

That will make the Windows\installer directory visible in Windows Explorer.

After you've done that, navigate to the \windows\installer directory, find the program you
want to uninstall ( hovering over any msi file will popup a description ) and once you've
identified the program you want to uninstall, right-click on it and select "Uninstall" from
the context menu.

You'll have to be patient and hover over over each msi file there,
until you find the one which corresponds to the .Net Framework 2.0.

In my box it's the very first msi file, when the directory is ordered by file name.
In your case it might be different.

Let us know whether you were successful doing that.
I still have an ace in the sleeve, in case that doesn't work, but it *should*.

After you do that, if you feel uncomfortable with the
hidden/protected files showing, revert the settings you changed.

Steve Cross

Juan:

I found the msi. I rgith clicked and tried to uninstall. Got the warning
"Do you want to uninstall?" and cliecked yes.

Windows Installer dialog said:

The patch package could not be opened. Verify that the patch package exists
and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that
this is a valid Windows Installer patch package.

Cannot get past this.

Thanks for your time.

Steve