asp.net 2: Re-use code with ClientScript.RegisterStartupScript

sck10

Hello,
I have the following sub in a class in my "App_Code" directory. The script
is for setting focus on a particular control, but I get the error,
"Name ClientScript Not declared". Also, I am using MasterPages. How do I
use "ClientScript.RegisterStartupScript" in a class?

Public Shared Sub SetFocusControl(ByVal FocusControl As Control)

Dim Script As New System.Text.StringBuilder
Dim ClientID As String = FocusControl.ClientID
With Script
.Append("<script language='javascript'>")
.Append("document.getElementById('")
.Append(ClientID)
.Append("').focus();")
.Append("</script>")
End With
' ClientScript.RegisterStartupScript(GetType(String), "ShowInfoPage",
Script.ToString())

End Sub

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for Brock's suggestion.

Hi Sck10,

For Control class, we can access its container page instance through the
"Page" property. Also, if the control is dynamically created and added on
page, please make sure that before we access that Control.Page propety, the
control has been added into the Page's control structure , otherwise, the
"Page" property remains Nothing....

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)
--------------------
| From: Brock Allen <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: asp.net 2: Re-use code with
ClientScript.RegisterStartupScript
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
| Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 14:49:00 -0800
|
| You need to do:
|
| Me.Page.ClientScript.RegisterClienbtScriptBlock(...)
|
| -Brock
| DevelopMentor
| http://staff.develop.com/ballen
|
| > Hello,
| > I have the following sub in a class in my "App_Code" directory. The
| > script
| > is for setting focus on a particular control, but I get the error,
| > "Name ClientScript Not declared". Also, I am using MasterPages. How
| > do I
| > use "ClientScript.RegisterStartupScript" in a class?
| > Public Shared Sub SetFocusControl(ByVal FocusControl As Control)
| >
| > Dim Script As New System.Text.StringBuilder
| > Dim ClientID As String = FocusControl.ClientID
| > With Script
| > .Append("<script language='javascript'>")
| > .Append("document.getElementById('")
| > .Append(ClientID)
| > .Append("').focus();")
| > .Append("</script>")
| > End With
| > ' ClientScript.RegisterStartupScript(GetType(String),
| > "ShowInfoPage",
| > Script.ToString())
| > End Sub

sck10

Thanks Steve,

I'm still having problems. I get the following error when trying to use
"Me.Page". Also, I am only using "Imports Microsoft.VisualBasic".

error: 'Me' is valid only within an instance method.

---------------------------------
Imports Microsoft.VisualBasic

Public Shared Sub SetFocusControl(ByVal FocusControl As Control)
Dim Script As New System.Text.StringBuilder
Dim ClientID As String = FocusControl.ClientID
With Script
.Append("<script language='javascript'>")
.Append("document.getElementById('")
.Append(ClientID)
.Append("').focus();")
.Append("</script>")
End With
'Me.Page.ClientScript.RegisterClienbtScriptBlock(GetType(String),
"SetFocusOnControl", Script.ToString())
'Me.Page.ClientScript.RegisterStartupScript(GetType(String),
"SetFocusOnControl", Script.ToString())

End Sub

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for your response Sck10,

What's the class of the "SetFocusControl" method, from your code snippet ,
the "SetFocusControl" method is a static function so that it can not access
its container class's "Me" property. In addition, only class derived from
System.Web.UI.Control has the "Page" propety... Is this class only a
helper component class? If so, you need to use the passed in "Control"
parameter 's "Page" property to register the script, e.g:

=========================
Public Shared Sub SetFocusControl(ByVal FocusControl As Control)
Dim Script As New System.Text.StringBuilder
Dim ClientID As String = FocusControl.ClientID
With Script
.Append("<script language='javascript'>")
.Append("document.getElementById('")
.Append(ClientID)
.Append("').focus();")
.Append("</script>")
End With

FocusControl.Page.ClientScript.RegisterClienbtScriptBlock(GetType(String),
"SetFocusOnControl", Script.ToString())

=====================

Also, as I've mentioend in the former message, the "FocusControl" must
already been added into a certain page's control structure before we access
its "Page" property, otherwise, that property remains Nothing.

Hope helps. Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: "sck10" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: asp.net 2: Re-use code with
ClientScript.RegisterStartupScript
| Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 16:28:19 -0600
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| Thanks Steve,
|
| I'm still having problems. I get the following error when trying to use
| "Me.Page". Also, I am only using "Imports Microsoft.VisualBasic".
|
| error: 'Me' is valid only within an instance method.
|
| ---------------------------------
| Imports Microsoft.VisualBasic
|
| Public Shared Sub SetFocusControl(ByVal FocusControl As Control)
| Dim Script As New System.Text.StringBuilder
| Dim ClientID As String = FocusControl.ClientID
| With Script
| .Append("<script language='javascript'>")
| .Append("document.getElementById('")
| .Append(ClientID)
| .Append("').focus();")
| .Append("</script>")
| End With
| 'Me.Page.ClientScript.RegisterClienbtScriptBlock(GetType(String),
| "SetFocusOnControl", Script.ToString())
| 'Me.Page.ClientScript.RegisterStartupScript(GetType(String),
| "SetFocusOnControl", Script.ToString())
|

| End Sub
|

| | > Thanks for Brock's suggestion.
| >
| > Hi Sck10,
| >
| > For Control class, we can access its container page instance through the
| > "Page" property. Also, if the control is dynamically created and added
on
| > page, please make sure that before we access that Control.Page propety,
| the
| > control has been added into the Page's control structure , otherwise,
the
| > "Page" property remains Nothing....
| >
| > Thanks,
| >
| > Steven Cheng
| > Microsoft Online Support

| > rights.)
| > --------------------

| > |
| > | You need to do:
| > |
| > | Me.Page.ClientScript.RegisterClienbtScriptBlock(...)
| > |
| > | -Brock
| > | DevelopMentor
| > | http://staff.develop.com/ballen

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Sck10,

Does the suggestions in my further response helps you? If there're anything
else we can help, please feel free to post here.

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)
--------------------
| From: (e-mail address removed) (Steven Cheng[MSFT])
| Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 01:44:44 GMT
| Subject: Re: asp.net 2: Re-use code with
ClientScript.RegisterStartupScript
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| Thanks for your response Sck10,
|
| What's the class of the "SetFocusControl" method, from your code snippet
,
| the "SetFocusControl" method is a static function so that it can not
access
| its container class's "Me" property. In addition, only class derived
from
| System.Web.UI.Control has the "Page" propety... Is this class only a
| helper component class? If so, you need to use the passed in "Control"
| parameter 's "Page" property to register the script, e.g:
|
| =========================
| Public Shared Sub SetFocusControl(ByVal FocusControl As Control)
| Dim Script As New System.Text.StringBuilder
| Dim ClientID As String = FocusControl.ClientID
| With Script
| .Append("<script language='javascript'>")
| .Append("document.getElementById('")
| .Append(ClientID)
| .Append("').focus();")
| .Append("</script>")
| End With
|

| FocusControl.Page.ClientScript.RegisterClienbtScriptBlock(GetType(String),
| "SetFocusOnControl", Script.ToString())
|

| =====================
|
| Also, as I've mentioend in the former message, the "FocusControl" must
| already been added into a certain page's control structure before we
access
| its "Page" property, otherwise, that property remains Nothing.
|
| Hope helps. Thanks,
|
| Steven Cheng
| Microsoft Online Support

| rights.)
|

| --------------------
| | From: "sck10" <[email protected]>
| | Subject: Re: asp.net 2: Re-use code with
| ClientScript.RegisterStartupScript
| | Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 16:28:19 -0600
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
| |
| | Thanks Steve,
| |
| | I'm still having problems. I get the following error when trying to use
| | "Me.Page". Also, I am only using "Imports Microsoft.VisualBasic".
| |
| | error: 'Me' is valid only within an instance method.
| |
| | ---------------------------------
| | Imports Microsoft.VisualBasic
| |
| | Public Shared Sub SetFocusControl(ByVal FocusControl As Control)
| | Dim Script As New System.Text.StringBuilder
| | Dim ClientID As String = FocusControl.ClientID
| | With Script
| | .Append("<script language='javascript'>")
| | .Append("document.getElementById('")
| | .Append(ClientID)
| | .Append("').focus();")
| | .Append("</script>")
| | End With
| | 'Me.Page.ClientScript.RegisterClienbtScriptBlock(GetType(String),
| | "SetFocusOnControl", Script.ToString())
| | 'Me.Page.ClientScript.RegisterStartupScript(GetType(String),
| | "SetFocusOnControl", Script.ToString())
| |
| |
| | End Sub
| |
| |

| | > Hi Sck10,
| | >
| | > For Control class, we can access its container page instance through
the
| | > "Page" property. Also, if the control is dynamically created and
added
| on
| | > page, please make sure that before we access that Control.Page
propety,
| | the
| | > control has been added into the Page's control structure , otherwise,
| the
| | > "Page" property remains Nothing....
| | >
| | > Thanks,
| | >
| | > Steven Cheng
| | > Microsoft Online Support
| | >
| | > Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
| | > (This posting is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, and confers no
| | > rights.)
| | > --------------------
| |
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| |
| |
| |

sck10

Thanks Steve,

I am still having difficulties getting the sub procedure to work once moved
to the "App_code" folder. When I call the class using "Call
class_General.SetFocusControl(Me.txtSearch)", I don't get an error, but it
doesn't go to the control.

Previously you said,
| Also, as I've mentioned in the former message, the "FocusControl" must
| already been added into a certain page's control structure before we
access its "Page" property, otherwise, that property remains Nothing.

I was wondering if this is what is happening and how can I test for this?
Thanks again for any insight.

Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As EventArgs)
'Set Focus
Call class_General.SetFocusControl(Me.txtSearch)
' this works: Call SetFocusControl(Me.txtSearch)
End Sub

This works
---------------------
Public Shared Sub SetFocusControl(ByVal FocusControl As Control)

'class_General.SetFocusControl(Me.txtTravelerHRID)

Dim Script As New System.Text.StringBuilder
Dim ClientID As String = FocusControl.ClientID
With Script
.Append("<script language='javascript'>")
.Append("document.getElementById('")
.Append(ClientID)
.Append("').focus();")
.Append("</script>")
End With

FocusControl.Page.ClientScript.RegisterClientScriptBlock(GetType(String),
"SetFocusOnControl", Script.ToString())

End Sub

"App_Code" folder
-----------------
Imports Microsoft.VisualBasic

Public Class class_General
Public Shared Sub SetFocusControl(ByVal FocusControl As Control)

'class_General.SetFocusControl(Me.txtTravelerHRID)

Dim Script As New System.Text.StringBuilder
Dim ClientID As String = FocusControl.ClientID
With Script
.Append("<script language='javascript'>")
.Append("document.getElementById('")
.Append(ClientID)
.Append("').focus();")
.Append("</script>")
End With

FocusControl.Page.ClientScript.RegisterClientScriptBlock(GetType(String),
"SetFocusOnControl", Script.ToString())

End Sub

Thanks again,

Steven Cheng said:
Hi Sck10,

Does the suggestions in my further response helps you? If there're anything
else we can help, please feel free to post here.

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)
--------------------
| From: (e-mail address removed) (Steven Cheng[MSFT])
| Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 01:44:44 GMT
| Subject: Re: asp.net 2: Re-use code with
ClientScript.RegisterStartupScript
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| Thanks for your response Sck10,
|
| What's the class of the "SetFocusControl" method, from your code snippet
,
| the "SetFocusControl" method is a static function so that it can not
access
| its container class's "Me" property. In addition, only class derived
from
| System.Web.UI.Control has the "Page" propety... Is this class only a
| helper component class? If so, you need to use the passed in "Control"
| parameter 's "Page" property to register the script, e.g:
|
| =========================
| Public Shared Sub SetFocusControl(ByVal FocusControl As Control)
| Dim Script As New System.Text.StringBuilder
| Dim ClientID As String = FocusControl.ClientID
| With Script
| .Append("<script language='javascript'>")
| .Append("document.getElementById('")
| .Append(ClientID)
| .Append("').focus();")
| .Append("</script>")
| End With
|

| FocusControl.Page.ClientScript.RegisterClienbtScriptBlock(GetType(String),
| "SetFocusOnControl", Script.ToString())
|

| =====================
|
| Also, as I've mentioend in the former message, the "FocusControl" must
| already been added into a certain page's control structure before we
access
| its "Page" property, otherwise, that property remains Nothing.
|
| Hope helps. Thanks,
|
| Steven Cheng
| Microsoft Online Support

| rights.)
|

| --------------------
| | From: "sck10" <[email protected]>
| | Subject: Re: asp.net 2: Re-use code with
| ClientScript.RegisterStartupScript
| | Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 16:28:19 -0600
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
| |
| | Thanks Steve,
| |
| | I'm still having problems. I get the following error when trying to use
| | "Me.Page". Also, I am only using "Imports Microsoft.VisualBasic".
| |
| | error: 'Me' is valid only within an instance method.
| |
| | ---------------------------------
| | Imports Microsoft.VisualBasic
| |
| | Public Shared Sub SetFocusControl(ByVal FocusControl As Control)
| | Dim Script As New System.Text.StringBuilder
| | Dim ClientID As String = FocusControl.ClientID
| | With Script
| | .Append("<script language='javascript'>")
| | .Append("document.getElementById('")
| | .Append(ClientID)
| | .Append("').focus();")
| | .Append("</script>")
| | End With
| | 'Me.Page.ClientScript.RegisterClienbtScriptBlock(GetType(String),
| | "SetFocusOnControl", Script.ToString())
| | 'Me.Page.ClientScript.RegisterStartupScript(GetType(String),
| | "SetFocusOnControl", Script.ToString())
| |
| |
| | End Sub
| |
| |

| | > Hi Sck10,
| | >
| | > For Control class, we can access its container page instance through
the
| | > "Page" property. Also, if the control is dynamically created and
added
| on
| | > page, please make sure that before we access that Control.Page
propety,
| | the
| | > control has been added into the Page's control structure , otherwise,
| the
| | > "Page" property remains Nothing....
| | >
| | > Thanks,
| | >
| | > Steven Cheng
| | > Microsoft Online Support
| | >
| | > Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
| | > (This posting is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, and confers no
| | > rights.)
| | > --------------------
| |
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| |
| |
| |

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for your followup Sck10,

In your case, I think we can check the following things:
1. Make sure when you use the Page.SetFocus function, the passed in
Control Parameter instance's ClientID has be the actual value which will be
rendered out as its "id" in client side html element(you can print out this
and view the rendered html to compare it...)

2. Check the rendered javascript code in the rendered html in clientside
browser to see whether the clientside code is registered correctly...

> [...]

snippet
| > ,
| > | the "SetFocusControl" method is a static function so that it can not
| > access
| > | its container class's "Me" property. In addition, only class derived
| > from
| > | System.Web.UI.Control has the "Page" propety... Is this class only
| > | helper component class? If so, you need to use the passed in
"Control"
| > | parameter 's "Page" property to register the script, e.g:
| > |
| > | =========================
| > | Public Shared Sub SetFocusControl(ByVal FocusControl As Control)
| > | Dim Script As New System.Text.StringBuilder
| > | Dim ClientID As String = FocusControl.ClientID
| > | With Script
| > | .Append("<script language='javascript'>")
| > |
| > |
| > |
| FocusControl.Page.ClientScript.RegisterClienbtScriptBlock(GetType(String),
| > | "SetFocusOnControl", Script.ToString())
| > |
| > |
| > | =====================
| > |
| > | Also, as I've mentioend in the former message, the "FocusControl" must
| > | already been added into a certain page's control structure before we
| > access
| > | its "Page" property, otherwise, that property remains Nothing.
| > |
| > | Hope helps. Thanks,
| > |
| > | Steven Cheng
| > | Microsoft Online Support
| > |
| > | Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
| > | (This posting is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, and confers no
| > | rights.)
| > |
| > |
| > | --------------------
| > | ClientScript.RegisterStartupScript
| > | |
| use
| > | |
| > | |
| > | |
| > | |
'Me.Page.ClientScript.RegisterClienbtScriptBlock(GetType(String),
| > | |
| > | |
| > | |
| > | |