ASP.NET: 401 (Unauthorized) error

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by sprungli, Sep 22, 2004.

  1. sprungli

    sprungli Guest

    My distributed app has the following cofiguration:

    My machine is not networked and I use localhost on IIS as a Web container.
    On localhost I have an ASP.NET app hosting a remote object. My goal is to
    test authenticating, then authorizing/denying users based on their Windows
    accounts (format: Domain\User). So in the ASP.NET app Web.config I have:

    <authentication mode="Windows" />

    <identity impersonate="true" />

    (and authorization is set to <allow users="*" /> by default - in
    Machine.config)

    In the ASP.NET app's virtual folder in IIS I disable Anonymous Access and
    check the Integrated Windows Authentication box.

    For the physical folder of the ASP.NET app I give Full Control rights to the
    user (myself=Admin rights) currently logged on the domain (the local
    machine).

    With this configuration I expect to be properly authorized by IIS and
    ASP.NET in order to connect to the remote object. Instead I get a 401
    (Unauthorized) runtime error.

    I think I read somewhere that testing ASP.NET authentication and
    authorization on the local domain doesn't work. Unfortunately, I do not have
    a network domain available, so I wonder if this could be the reason for the
    error. Or maybe I am missing something elsewhere?

    Thanks for your suggestions.
    sprungli, Sep 22, 2004