ASP.NET Ajax error 404 on postback

Talal Sultan

Hi guys

I am having a weird problem on the client's test server.
My application works fine on my machine (where it is developped) and works
fine on 2 of our test servers. However, once copied to the client's server,
I am having a problem with only one page.
The user logs in fine and selects a page from the menu. A grid will appear
with a list of roles. The grid contains action image buttons to perform
edit, delete, activate, deactive for each role. When I click on the edit
image button I get the ajax popup alert error 404. I don't understand why it
only happens in this page and only on this image button. If I click on view
or deactivate, it works fine!
Many pages are ajax-enabled, not only this one, and they were fine!

any ideas?

Thanks,
Talal

Jesse Houwing

Hello Talal,
[...]

Are the deployment scenario's exactly the same? Or are you deploying this
application to a virtual Directory on the clients server? This results in
a situation where the approot and the domain root are not the same anymore.

So you'll get 404's when you forget to write ~/ instead of just / in application
URL's.

Guest

Hi guys

I am having a weird problem on the client's test server.
My application works fine on my machine (where it is developped) and works
fine on 2 of our test servers. However, once copied to the client's server,
I am having a problem with only one page.
The user logs in fine and selects a page from the menu. A grid will appear
with a list of roles. The grid contains action image buttons to perform
edit, delete, activate, deactive for each role. When I click on the edit
image button I get the ajax popup alert error 404. I don't understand why it
only happens in this page and only on this image button. If I click on view
or deactivate, it works fine!
Many pages are ajax-enabled, not only this one, and they were fine!

any ideas?

Thanks,
Talal

Look at the IIS log for HTTP 404 or install Fiddler
(www.fiddlertool.com) to identify the missing page.

Talal Sultan

Hi Jesse,

Yes the deployment is the same and other pages also have the same layout and
code-behind architecture.
I think I have found the problem. It's Ajax. Apparently the firewall they
have thinks that the Ajax request is a cross-site scripting forgery. We have
talked with the person responsible for the firewall configuration and he
confirmed that whenever we do a postback on a page that is ajax-enabled, he
gets either an alert from the firewall or a deny. In my particular page, it
was a deny which was blocking some of the postbacks. I wonder how that could
be.
Anyway for the time being, we will try disabling ajax for that version and
try and see if there is a solution to this problem in the next version.
any ideas about this problem?

Thank you for your time, I really appreciate it.

Talal

Talal Sultan

Hi Alexey,

Thank you for your reply. I just found that the problem seems to be the
firewall at the client site. It thinks that the AJAX postback is a
cross-site scripting forgery. All pages working with Ajax are having the
same problem, some of them are denied by the firewall, and some of them are
just logged as an alert. So for now we are going to remove Ajax and see how
it goes. I'll try to find a fix for that for the nex version release.
Do you have an idea about this?

Thanks again,
[...]

Hi Talal,

please check this thread at http://forums.asp.net/t/1144748.aspx?PageIndex=1

Hope this helps

Guest

Hi Talal,

please check this thread athttp://forums.asp.net/t/1144748.aspx?PageIndex=1

Hope this helps- Zitierten Text ausblenden -

- Zitierten Text anzeigen -

Did you find the problem?