ASP.NET and LDAP Connection

schtroumfps

Hi,
I have developed an internal application in ASP.NET 2.0/C# that is
using an LDAP connection. Basically, I am getting the LDAP users to
match some user’s roles and rights that I have in SQL 2005 tables.

When I am testing the application locally this is working perfectly. I
have place the application on an internal test server (inside the same
domain) and we found out that we needed to unchecked the “Enable
anonymous access” option in the Authentication Methods in IIS to make
it work. Otherwise, it was not loading the website.

My next step was to create a deployed the application in a production
environment using the same LDAP connection and SQL database with the
“enable anonymous access” unchecked. The application is working
perfectly except that we needed to add a port number to the alias name
created to make it works.

I.e.: Our NT Server name is http://AAA/BBB/234.aspx and the DNS alias
name is http://Production/234.aspx.
But to make it work in that environment we need to created the alias
like this http://Production:555/234.aspx.

There are already 3 applications on that server and 2 of them need to
have the port number in the alias.

Anybody have an idea why we need to add that information to run the
website? And how could we resolved that minor problem?

Thanks in advance

Guest

Hi,
I have developed an internal application in ASP.NET 2.0/C# that is
using an LDAP connection. Basically, I am getting the LDAP users to
match some user’s roles and rights that I have in SQL 2005 tables.

When I am testing the application locally this is working perfectly. I
have place the application on an internal test server (inside the same
domain) and we found out that we needed to unchecked the “Enable
anonymous access” option in the Authentication Methods in IIS to make
it work. Otherwise, it was not loading the website.

The anonymous access option enabled the IIS do not perform any
authentication check and the token represents the anonymous user
IUSR_MACHINENAME (IUSR account on IIS7) which probably has no access
to LDAP.

My next step was to create a deployed the application in a production
environment using the same LDAP connection and SQL database with the
“enable anonymous access” unchecked. The application is working
perfectly except that we needed to add a port number to the alias name
created to make it works.

I.e.: Our NT Server name ishttp://AAA/BBB/234.aspxand the DNS alias
name ishttp://Production/234.aspx.
But to make it work in that environment we need to created the alias
like thishttp://Production:555/234.aspx.

There are already 3 applications on that server and 2 of them need to
have the port number in the alias.

I think I am not really understand the problem. Do you mean that the
first server is http://production and each new site has to have a port
number in the url? This can be solved by using host headers. Isn't it?

schtroumfps

The anonymous access option enabled the IIS do not perform any
authentication check and the token represents the anonymous user
IUSR_MACHINENAME (IUSR account on IIS7) which probably has no access
to LDAP.

I think I am not really understand the problem. Do you mean that the
first server ishttp://productionand each new site has to have a port
number in the url? This can be solved by using host headers. Isn't it?

Thanks for your answer but we finally find out what was our problem.
The LDAP was not communicating because some guys just unchecked the
enabled HTTP Keep-Alives Options in the Connections panel in the
Website properties of the website.