ASP.NET Datagrid sorting

Guest

I want my gird to sort only the items on the current page when I click on a column header. I wrote a little test app, but when I sort it pulls in items from other pages and places them on the current page.

i.e.

If I have:

IntegerValue StringValue CurrencyValue
0 Item 0 0
1 Item 1 1.23
< >

then sort I will get:

IntegerValue StringValue CurrencyValue
8 Item 8 9.84
7 Item 7 8.61
< >

and what I want is:

IntegerValue StringValue CurrencyValue
1 Item 1 1.23
0 Item 0 0
< >

using System;
using System.Collections;
using System.ComponentModel;
using System.Data;
using System.Drawing;
using System.Web;
using System.Web.SessionState;
using System.Web.UI;
using System.Web.UI.WebControls;
using System.Web.UI.HtmlControls;

namespace WebApplication2
{
/// <summary>
/// Summary description for WebForm1.
/// </summary>
protected System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataGrid ItemsGrid;

ItemsGrid.DataSource = CreateDataSource();
ItemsGrid.DataBind();

}
ICollection CreateDataSource()
{

// Create a Random object to mix up the order of items in the
// sample data.
Random Rand_Num = new Random();

// Create sample data for the DataGrid control.
DataTable dt = new DataTable();
DataRow dr;

// Define the columns of the table.
dt.Columns.Add(new DataColumn("IntegerValue", typeof(Int32)));
dt.Columns.Add(new DataColumn("StringValue", typeof(String)));
dt.Columns.Add(new DataColumn("CurrencyValue", typeof(Double)));

// Populate the table with sample values.
for (int i=0; i<=8; i++)
{

dr = dt.NewRow();

dr[0] = i;
dr[1] = "Item " + i.ToString();
dr[2] = 1.23 * i;

dt.Rows.Add(dr);

}

// To persist the data source between posts to the server,
// store it in session state.
Session["Source"] = dt;

DataView dv = new DataView(dt);

return dv;

//
//
InitializeComponent();
base.OnInit(e);
}

/// <summary>
/// </summary>
private void InitializeComponent()
{
this.ItemsGrid.PageIndexChanged += new System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataGridPageChangedEventHandler(this.ItemsGrid_PageIndexChanged);
this.ItemsGrid.SortCommand += new System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataGridSortCommandEventHandler(this.ItemsGrid_SortCommand);

#endregion

private void ItemsGrid_SortCommand(object source, System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataGridSortCommandEventArgs e)
{

// Retrieve the data source from session state.
DataTable dt = (DataTable)Session["Source"];

// Create a DataView from the DataTable.
DataView dv = new DataView(dt);

// The DataView provides an easy way to sort. Simply set the
// Sort property with the name of the field to sort by.

if(Session["sort"] == "ASC")
{
dv.Sort = e.SortExpression + " ASC";
Session["sort"] = "DESC";
}
else
{
dv.Sort = e.SortExpression + " DESC";
Session["sort"] = "ASC";
}

// Re-bind the data source and specify that it should be sorted
// by the field specified in the SortExpression property.
ItemsGrid.DataSource = dv;
ItemsGrid.DataBind();

}

private void ItemsGrid_PageIndexChanged(object source, System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataGridPageChangedEventArgs e)
{
// For the DataGrid control to navigate to the correct page when
// paging is allowed, the CurrentPageIndex property must be updated
// programmatically. This process is usually accomplished in the
// event-handling method for the PageIndexChanged event.

// Set CurrentPageIndex to the page the user clicked.
ItemsGrid.CurrentPageIndex = e.NewPageIndex;

// Rebind the data to refresh the DataGrid control.
ItemsGrid.DataSource = CreateDataSource();
ItemsGrid.DataBind();

<%@ Page language="c#" Codebehind="WebForm1.aspx.cs" AutoEventWireup="false" Inherits="WebApplication2.WebForm1" %>
<!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en" >
<head>
<title>WebForm1</title>
</head>
<asp:datagrid id="ItemsGrid" style="Z-INDEX: 101; LEFT: 104px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 208px"
runat="server" allowsorting="True" allowpaging="True" pagesize="2"></asp:datagrid>
</form>

Saravana [MVP]

I think for this type of sorting, you can do client side sorting. Check out
this article,
http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/04/01/CuttingEdge/default.aspx

Other option is to have custom paging in your datagrid, get the first page
data alone in your datasource and then bind it to your datagrid. For
implementing custom paging, check out this article,
http://www.microsoft.com/india/msdn/articles/PaginginDataGridWebServerContro
l.aspx

--
Saravana