ASP.NET Not LIsted as User in File Security Property

fripper

I am having trouble accessing a datafile in m inetpub/wwwroot/_private
directory from a VB .Net app that I am debugging. When I run the program I
get an error saying that ASP.NET is not authorized to use the file. When I
right-click the file in question and select the Security tab ASP.NET is not
listed under User Names ... but Internet Guest Account and Launch IIS
Process Account are listed [along with a couple of others]. I am running
iis 5.1 and have installed .Net Framework Version 1.1 Rdistirbutable
Package.

Thanks.

Juan T. Llibre

There is not "ASP.NET" account.

There *is* an "ASPNET" account under Windows XP, though,
but it only works for ASP.NET if you are not impersonating.

Are you impersonating ?
Did you try to "add" the ASPNET account to the ACLs ?

fripper

I'm afraid you lost me. I don't know what you mean by "impersonating". I
have not tried to add the ASPNET account to the ACL's ... don't even know
hpow to do that.

fripper said:
I am having trouble accessing a datafile in m inetpub/wwwroot/_private
directory from a VB .Net app that I am debugging. When I run the program
I get an error saying that ASP.NET is not authorized to use the file.
When I right-click the file in question and select the Security tab
ASP.NET is not listed under User Names ... but Internet Guest Account and
Launch IIS Process Account are listed [along with a couple of others]. I
am running iis 5.1 and have installed .Net Framework Version 1.1
Rdistirbutable Package.

Thanks.

Juan T. Llibre

re:
I have not tried to add the ASPNET account to the ACL's ... don't even know how to do
that.

You said you had done this :
Account and Launch IIS Process Account are listed

Once you do that...do you see an "Add" button ?

Clicking the "Add" button starts the process of adding
an account to the list of accounts permitted to access that file.

fripper said:
I am having trouble accessing a datafile in m inetpub/wwwroot/_private directory from a
VB .Net app that I am debugging. When I run the program I get an error saying that
ASP.NET is not authorized to use the file. When I right-click the file in question and
select the Security tab ASP.NET is not listed under User Names ... but Internet Guest
Account and Launch IIS Process Account are listed [along with a couple of others]. I
am running iis 5.1 and have installed .Net Framework Version 1.1 Rdistirbutable
Package.

Thanks.

fripper

Thanks Juan ... I appreciate your help. Problem seems to be fixed.

Juan T. Llibre said:
There is not "ASP.NET" account.

There *is* an "ASPNET" account under Windows XP, though,
but it only works for ASP.NET if you are not impersonating.

Are you impersonating ?
Did you try to "add" the ASPNET account to the ACLs ?

I am having trouble accessing a datafile in m inetpub/wwwroot/_private
directory from a VB .Net app that I am debugging. When I run the
program I get an error saying that ASP.NET is not authorized to use the
file. When I right-click the file in question and select the Security
tab ASP.NET is not listed under User Names ... but Internet Guest
Account and Launch IIS Process Account are listed [along with a couple
of others]. I am running iis 5.1 and have installed .Net Framework
Version 1.1 Rdistirbutable Package.

Thanks.

Juan T. Llibre

Great!

It's the simple things which stump us the most.

Sometimes I've stared at screens and googled for hours,
getting exactly nowhere but if I show the problem to someone
else, or even if I just take a break for a while, the answer
appears almost automagically.

;-)