asp.net web service connecting to another web service

jazzydance

I have a couple of questions to ask you about a sql server reporting service
connecting to a webservice within the DMZ. I am asking this question since I
want to avoid the double hop problems that occur by using IIS on sql server
2005. (This is when you use windows authenication in sql server 2005 to
connect to IIS.)

Right now my company is using sql server 2005 and may upgrade to sql
server 2008 within the next couple of months.

The following questions pertain to using sql server 2005 and visual
studio.net 2005:
1. If I want to have sql server report service 2005 connect to web service
within the DMZ, is this possible? If so, are there URLS and/or books that I
can look at that would be able to answer this question?
2. If question #1 is not possible, could I create a asp.net web page that
would use some kind of a viewer contol that could display the sql server
reporting service 2005 reports? This asp.net web page would then send the
reports to a web service within the DMZ?
I want to use the web service so that the reports can be opened up on the
internet.

The following questions pertain to using sql server 2008 and visual
studio.net 2008:
(I know that sql server 2008 does not use IIS. There is an http/system url
that is used instead.
1. If I want to have sql server report service 2008 connect to web service
within the DMZ, is this possible? If so, are there URLS and/or books that I
can look at that would be able to answer this question?
2. If question #1 is not possible, could I create a asp.net web page that
would use some kind of a viewer contol that could display the sql server
reporting service 2008 reports? This asp.net web page would then send the
reports to a web service within the DMZ?

Thanks in advance!

Mr. Arnold

jazzydance said:
I have a couple of questions to ask you about a sql server reporting service
connecting to a webservice within the DMZ. I am asking this question since I
want to avoid the double hop problems that occur by using IIS on sql server
2005. (This is when you use windows authenication in sql server 2005 to
connect to IIS.)

Right now my company is using sql server 2005 and may upgrade to sql
server 2008 within the next couple of months.

The following questions pertain to using sql server 2005 and visual
studio.net 2005:
1. If I want to have sql server report service 2005 connect to web service
within the DMZ, is this possible? If so, are there URLS and/or books that I
can look at that would be able to answer this question?

Yeah it's possible. But is it the right thing to do?
2. If question #1 is not possible, could I create a asp.net web page that
would use some kind of a viewer contol that could display the sql server
reporting service 2005 reports? This asp.net web page would then send the
reports to a web service within the DMZ?

Maybe, you'll want to take a look at this.

I want to use the web service so that the reports can be opened up on the
internet.

The following questions pertain to using sql server 2008 and visual
studio.net 2008:
(I know that sql server 2008 does not use IIS. There is an http/system url
that is used instead.

I don't know.

1. If I want to have sql server report service 2008 connect to web service
within the DMZ, is this possible? If so, are there URLS and/or books that I
can look at that would be able to answer this question?

I don't know about putting something like that on the Web server that's
sitting in the DMZ that has contact with SQL server. There is nothing
wrong with using a portal type solution where everything is behind the
DMZ, and the user must come into a secure/protected zone.
2. If question #1 is not possible, could I create a asp.net web page that
would use some kind of a viewer contol that could display the sql server
reporting service 2008 reports? This asp.net web page would then send the
reports to a web service within the DMZ?

<http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=sql+...+services+via+Web+service&fp=a048890d3c90c6fc>

jazzydance

Mr. Arnold:

Thank you for your response. However I want the sql server report service
to connect to another
web service within a DMZ. I do not want to open up the sql server report
service web service directly
on the internet since that is a production server.
Thus I am just wondering if I connect th sql server report service web
service to another
web service within the DMZ, would there be a 'unique' calls that would be
required. Would
this be like a standard web service calling another web service?

thanks!

Mr. Arnold

jazzydance said:
Mr. Arnold:

Thank you for your response. However I want the sql server report service
to connect to another
web service within a DMZ. I do not want to open up the sql server report
service web service directly
on the internet since that is a production server.
Thus I am just wondering if I connect th sql server report service web
service to another
web service within the DMZ, would there be a 'unique' calls that would be
required. Would
this be like a standard web service calling another web service?

The Web service would use a Classlib Project (client) that has reference
to another Web service, which would be a Web service client to a Web
service.

There is no Web service to Web service. There is a Web service client
and Web service server.