ASP.NET webs hang for 60 seconds then function normally

Keith

We have developed ASP.NET apps for almost two years now and have encountered
this problem while developing and on production. The problem is very
simple, we want to browse to a page and our sessions goes to sleep for about
60 seconds. The page eventually builds and displays, but it takes a long
time.

The problem seems to occur more when we are testing using VS.NET, but it
happens in production as well. We are not waiting for connections, etc., it
just hangs.

How can we debug this problem? We want to sell ASP.NET to top mgt but are
concerned an unexplainable freeze will blow the sales pitch. We have
already set debug="true" in our <%@ Page %> declaration, no extra code is
being executed.

Thanks,

Keith

Curt_C [MVP]

you sure your wp isn't being reset due to idleness and it's "rebuilding" the
site since it's no longer cached? Does this happen EVERY time the page it
called or only when it's been idle?

Keith

Curt,

You know, it is typically when we have been idle for a while. I think you
may be on to something. Can you point me to articles on how to tweak these
settings? Is is similar to a session timeout in Classic ASP? I can tell
you it happens the most with grids, which would be a lot of session state to
restore.

many thanks,

Keith

Keith

<<<For better performance don't you want to set the debug attribute to
false?>>>

Absolutely, we just wanted to debug the slow downs. The normal state is
"False".