ASP to ASP.net -- Include Files?

Phillip Windell

I have a site done in Classic ASP that I may want to rebuild with ASP.net
(VS2005). But I have a lot of knowledge gaps. What is the ASP.net
counterpart to the old include files? The site currently uses Include Files
for the Header accross the top, Menu down the left side, and footer at the
bottom.

Robbe Morris [C# MVP]

ASP.NET still supports include files but you'll want
to look into UserControls and MasterPage schemes.

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

User Controls and Master Pages are the most common solutions for getting rid
of old fashioned include files.

Guest

If you are talking common chrome (GUI bits), you can use user controls, or in
2.0 you can go with master pages (which, underneath, are a type of user
control ;->).

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

***************************
Think Outside the Box!

Phillip Windell

Thanks guys. I spent part of the weekend reading about the Master files.
Still have not got it straight in my head yet so I'll have to spend some
more time with it. I was reading it in the MSDN Library Docs. It seems to
me they took something that was fairly simple and worked very well and
turned it into a overly complicated mess, but such is life I guess. I'm sure
I'll figure it out later when I have time to go back over it.
Thanks for the direction, guys..