Aspect oriented Everything?

Discussion in 'Perl' started by New_aspect, Aug 22, 2003.

  1. New_aspect

    New_aspect Guest

    Hello,

    Aspect oriented Software development seems to be expanding in the
    popular vision of developers, with more and more IDE 'add-ons' and
    even more specialized tools,Jboss etc.
    I've seen more and more languages integrate AOP,AspectJ (Java),
    AspectR(Ruby)etc.Aspect oriented does seem to be the place to go from
    a developer standpoint.What I want to know is,if anybody on a
    commercial scale is using AOSD to develop commercial products? Is an
    Open Source development ever going to gain the trust of industry? It
    may be ok for personal projects and other Open Source material but
    will your bank ever accept it? Is it the fact that AOP is new and, for
    most,confusing or is it the fact that AOP has developed in the
    environment it has.i.e Open Source,that may dissuade commercial
    development shops from accepting AOP.

    What are the main features that may lead to AOSD adoption? Is AOP the
    next step on from OOP? Is it another chance for some of the lesser
    utilised languages to step up to Java and C++? Your opinions on the
    subject would be appreciated? Design features are one thing but
    widespread adoption is another, or is it?

    Anything you care to add on the subject would be appreciated on this
    short questionnaire.
    http://www.geocities.com/aspect505

    Thank you for your participation.

    Shane Hassan.

    http://www.geocities.com/aspect505

    New_aspect, Aug 22, 2003

  2. New_aspect

    Trent Curry Guest

    Wow someone actually uses this group!

    --
    Stan

    Trent Curry, Aug 23, 2003

  3. > Aspect oriented Software development seems to be expanding in the
    > popular vision of developers, with more and more IDE 'add-ons' and
    > even more specialized tools,Jboss etc.

    I'm not sure if this is a the way to go. I've only seen proof of
    concept but no real use. But only in the latter case you can see the
    problems.

    I don't like it because it breaks encapsulation and splitters the code
    over a few files. Maybe that can be solved with new kind of editors
    but it is much more easy to result in a big confusion.

    The most important use cases that i've seen so far are:

    - Logging facilities
    - Debugging code
    - Pre/Postconditions
    - Threading synchronization

    1+2+3 can be embedded in a language. This is already done in Eiffel.
    I don't know if i really want to see something as difficult as
    "threading synchronization" as an aspect.

    Lothar Scholz, Aug 23, 2003
  4. > [ (New_aspect)]
    > Aspect oriented Software development seems to be expanding ...
    > ...some of the lesser
    > utilised languages to step up to Java and C++?

    How about stepping from Java or C++. AOP is just a contrived way to
    get around the static typing restrictions that Java and C++ have. You
    need Python.

    --
    I fear explanations explanatory of things explained.

    Will Stuyvesant, Aug 23, 2003
  5. (New_aspect) wrote:
    > What I want to know is,if anybody on a
    > commercial scale is using AOSD to develop commercial products?

    I know about AOP for quite a while now but I've actually never used it
    in a commercial product.

    One reason I can offer you is, that it was always easy to get around
    using it. You know most of the "vertical" and "horizontal" needs from
    the beginning of the project and are free to include them in your UML
    model.

    One strategy to get around AOP at design time ist multiple inheritance
    (MI). Even if the language doesn't support MI directly there are many
    ways to implement an UML model which includes MI. Other strategies
    include the visitor pattern or some other form of delegation to
    specialized objects.

    There are some things which could make AOP more attractive:
    - discussions like this one
    - integration in some language would of course make some people use it
    (but who would use this brand new language?)
    - find a "killer app" (e. g. show that it's better to use AOP to
    profile
    than to use the standard profiling tools)
    - make it either as simple as possible or very difficult but with
    enormous power
    - build a refactoring browser which refactors aspects to where they
    belong
    ;-)

    Generic programming is gaining more and more attention in the world of
    statically typed languages. AOP could be part of that. On the other
    hand it's a lot easier to implement AOP in a dynamic language like
    Ruby. And as people like the nature of their favorite language, they
    might like the dynamic aspect of AOP, too.

    Cheers
    Sascha

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Sascha_D=F6rdelmann?=, Aug 27, 2003
  6. New_aspect

    Robert Will Guest

    (Lothar Scholz) wrote in message news:<>...

    > I'm not sure if this is a the way to go. I've only seen proof of
    > concept but no real use. But only in the latter case you can see the
    > problems.
    >
    > I don't like it because it breaks encapsulation and splitters the code
    > over a few files. Maybe that can be solved with new kind of editors
    > but it is much more easy to result in a big confusion.
    >
    > The most important use cases that i've seen so far are:
    >
    > - Logging facilities
    > - Debugging code
    > - Pre/Postconditions
    > - Threading synchronization
    >
    > 1+2+3 can be embedded in a language. This is already done in Eiffel.
    > I don't know if i really want to see something as difficult as
    > "threading synchronization" as an aspect.

    I see, you watched the trend the closely. Incidentally I have the
    same opinion, except that I don't consider their dysfunctional
    examples as proof of concepts.

    Robert Will, Aug 31, 2003