    name ASPNET but eliminates the login name. How do I create the correct user
    so that my application can log in?

    Many thanks.

    Andrew Chalk, Nov 16, 2005

  2. re:
    > I can't create a user ASPNET with a login name SERVERNAME/ASPNET

    You should be able to.

    Are you sure that's not SERVERNAME\ASPNET ?
    Notice the difference in the slash's direction.

    Other than that, which is probably a typo, you could change
    the SQL Server's security to "SQL Server and Windows",
    instead of "Windows", create a SQL Server login for your database,
    and assign it the permissions you want it to have.

    You'd have to change the connection string to use either
    the loginname/password you created, or a Trusted Connection.

    You'll find this to be helpful :

    If the SQL Server is in a different machine that the web server, make sure you read this:
    http://weblogs.asp.net/AChang/archive/2004/04/15/113866.aspx
    (In fact, read that even if your SQL Server is in the same machine as your web server)

    Juan T. Llibre, ASP.NET MVP
    ASP.NET FAQ : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    ASPNETFAQ.COM : http://www.aspnetfaq.com/
    ======================================

    Juan T. Llibre, Nov 16, 2005

  3. Andrew Chalk

    Andrew Chalk Guest

    You are right that the '/' is a typo. The basic problem is exactly the one
    discussed in the Q316989 that you reference below. Following that article I
    changed SQL Server's security to "SQL Server and Windows". I created a new
    user of my database and modified my application connection string as
    follows:

    SqlConnection myConnection = new SqlConnection("Data Source=(local);Initial
    Catalog=MCSCRE;User ID=Logger;password=admin");

    It still fails with the same error. Even the three line test program in
    Q316989 fails in the same way. It is as though I need a user for SQL Server,
    and then a second one for the database.

    Any idea what is going on here?

    Many thanks,

    Andrew

    Andrew Chalk, Nov 16, 2005
  4. re:
    > SqlConnection myConnection = new SqlConnection("Data Source=(local);
    > Initial Catalog=MCSCRE;User ID=Logger;password=admin");

    I've had problems connecting when I use (local) for the SQL Server's name.

    Check and see what the real name of your SQL Server instance is,
    and use *that* name in your connection.

    To check the instance name of your SQL Server, double-click the
    SQL Server Service Manager icon in your taskbar, or open the
    "Service Manager" app in the "Start Menu", "Programs",
    "Microsoft SQL Server" start menu menu group.

    The "Server" textbox will tell you the real name for your SQL Server instance.
    Try using *that name* in your connection string, instead of (local).

    Juan T. Llibre, Nov 16, 2005
  5. Andrew Chalk

    Andrew Chalk Guest

    The latest saga..

    Instead of a new user for my database and loging in as him I logged in as
    'sa' (the deafult SQL user) from my app. That works!

    Is it the case that my ap. was failing to log in to SQL server, rather than
    inot my database? Obviously, I am new to SQL Server authentication and it is
    proving counter intuitive to me.

    Andrew Chalk, Nov 16, 2005
  6. re:
    > Instead of a new user for my database and loging in as him I logged in as 'sa' (the
    > default SQL user) from my app. That works!

    That explains a lot.
    The "sa" user has read/write permissions to *all* SQL Server's databases.

    Your problem is *not* the login, but that the user your connection is trying
    to *login as* doesn't have permissions to the objects for the database you're
    trying to use.

    Add the login you want to use to SQL Server and then add that user to your
    database's users, and then assign permissions for that database's objects to
    your new user.

    This is an object-by-object assignment.
    Make sure that all the relevant permissions to all needed objects are assigned.

    Then, you should have no problem with that new user accessing your db.

    Juan T. Llibre, Nov 16, 2005
  7. Andrew Chalk

    Andrew Chalk Guest

    That is exactly right. The ASP.NET runs at a lower privilege level.

    I followed your steps and the new user, with restricted rights, is accessing
    the database fine.

    Now, if only I could find out how the ASP.NET user's rights could be
    upgraded so that I can use integrated security.

    Many thanks for your help!

    Andrew Chalk, Nov 16, 2005