AspNet X J2EE

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Thiago Campos Pereira, Jul 5, 2005.

  1. I need a support of the staff of the Microsoft.

    Since the beginning of the year I am working in the CFLCL (Company of the
    sector of energy with more than 15000 employees).

    I am trying to convince the CFLCL to adopt the DotNet as tool of Web
    development, but for this, I have that to obtain the approval of the
    security staff.

    The problem is that the security staff is fanatic with Linux and want that
    the company adopts the J2EE. The great problem is that the faces are same
    Hackers, for you to have idea, the Firewall was developed by it (all in
    assembler), using the Linux to load the OS and later it all it takes off
    Linux of air, assuming control of the operational system.

    The argument that they use is that the DotNet delays very in loading the
    process, besides using fixed addresses of memory.

    With this, hacker can use the moment that the process of the AspNet is
    information to provoke great damages the CFLCL.

    In accordance with them, the J2EE does not have this problem, therefore he
    is fast to load and it does not use fixed addresses in the memory very,
    making it difficult in the life of the Hackers.

    But, so that the Hacker obtains to use this imperfection of the AspNet it
    has that to make an attack in the hardware layer. It until showed to me as
    if he makes, generating a failed in IRQ 115 (I find that the number is this)
    that seems to be most serious, stopping all the processing of the machine
    and allowing the action of the Hacker.

    My argument is that to make this attack, hacker it has that to have access
    the machine and that if the Firewall of it is good, we do not have with what
    being worried, playing the responsibility on them.

    But, I am trying to raise more arguments.

    As this low-level question is not very my beach, I am looking support of
    people can assist me in the subject.

    Somebody can help me? Somebody know some publication on the subject that
    can help me? He will be that you do not know somebody who can help me to
    gain this "competition"?

    Thiago Campos Pereira, Jul 5, 2005

  2. Thiago Campos Pereira

    Karl Seguin Guest

    Thiago:

    Seems like you might need more help that what you'll get here.

    You might want to try contacting a MS Regional Director in your area. I
    found one in Peru:
    http://www.icuadrado.com/chrismenegay.htm

    and one in Ecuador
    http://weblogs.asp.net/esanchez/contact.aspx

    You can also try contacting the Microsoft Brazil Office:
    http://www.microsoft.com/worldwide/phone/contact.aspx?country=Brazil

    (sorry, I got it in my head that you are from Brazil, hope I'm not wrong!)

    Cheers,
    Karl

    --
    MY ASP.Net tutorials
    come!)

    Karl Seguin, Jul 5, 2005

  3. Hi Karl,

    I am in Brazil.

    I contacted some MVPs here and nobody can help me. I has send I e-mail to
    Mauro Santana ( MS Regional Director on Brazil) and I don't receive return,
    yet.

    The Brazilian MVPs suggests for me contact the Microsoft on USA.

    I only want a simple support about this question.

    Thank You.

    Thiago Campos Pereira, Jul 5, 2005
  4. Thiago Campos Pereira

    Karl Seguin Guest

    Thiago:
    The problem is that your question isn't very easy to answer. You are asking
    a very detailed question about the inner-workings of IIS and windows...

    I replied to your question because I'm afraid your question will go
    unanswered....so i thought the least I could do was try and provide you with
    some other venues to ask...

    You might try some more security-focused newsgroups, such as:
    microsoft.public.inetserver.iis.security
    microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.security

    I'm inquiring further on your behalf, will let you know if I come up with
    anything..

    Karl
    --
    MY ASP.Net tutorials

    Karl Seguin, Jul 5, 2005
  5. Thanks Karl,
    I will try this newsgroup.

    Thiago Campos Pereira, Jul 5, 2005
  6. It sounds like your security team seem to have got it in their heads that
    j2ee and asp.net use different http protocols - thre is only one http
    protocol and a request through any firewall to any web server, be it apache
    or iis for example only returns http traffic - the security risk therefore
    are pretty much the same. asp, php and jsp are not that different when it
    comes down to this level and a decision on whether to use one or another
    technology should be based on what exactly the benefits are - not if its
    appropriate for your old firewall.

    J2ee web traffic is not only delivered through Lunix - just as patching and
    security are not about asp.net or j2ee. A good firewall and security
    strategy in place, with correctly managed firewalls and protocols makes any
    system as secure as it can be. If your security team are more concerned
    about running IIS on Windows and can't get their heads around the security
    policies for windows servers and especially hardware security then you could
    still develop asp.net in visual studio or the SDK and deploy it to Linux
    using Mono. Personally I would worry more that they dont actually
    understand the concepts of web security if they are worried about potential
    local hardware vulnerabilities for servers that should be in secure
    computing rooms anyway.

    --
    Regards

    John Timney
    ASP.NET MVP
    Microsoft Regional Director

    John Timney \(ASP.NET MVP\), Jul 5, 2005