aspx runs outside of application?!

Dave Bender

I'm confused about whether a web application needs to be defined in IIS as
an "application" to run. We have a client who has a medium sized web site
(~2,000 pages), including some ASP and some aspx pages. These were
developed by different developers over the past several years.

What I don't understand is that some of the aspx pages compile and run fine,
but they are not in a virtual directory or in a folder that's conifgured as
an "application." They do read from a global.asax file in the web site's
web-doc root folder. But the site at its root is not configured as a .net
'application' either (and the .asp pages throughout the site would all fail
if it were, I think.)

Is there a 'global' web application for asp.net? If so, are there
restrictions on it? For example, can I create a /Bin folder and have it
work? (I've tried, and it hasn't but I'm not sure what I'm doing.) If not,
how else could the site be configured so it runs the .aspx pages?

Dave

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Dave said:
I'm confused about whether a web application needs to be defined in
IIS as an "application" to run.

recommended practice), but this is a classic asp newsgroup. ASP.Net is
a different technology from classic ASP. While you may be lucky enough
to find a dotnet-savvy person here who can answer your question, you
can eliminate the luck factor by posting your question to a newsgroup
where the dotnet-savvy people hang out. I suggest
to help you.

Dave Anderson

Dave said:
...What I don't understand is that some of the aspx pages compile
and run fine, but they are not in a virtual directory or in a
folder that's conifgured as an "application." They do read from a
global.asax file in the web site's web-doc root folder.

By default, IIS creates an application for the root of every web site.
Everything *NOT* in another application is in that application. This
includes subdirectories. The simple fact that the global.asax is parsed
confirms you are in an application.

But the site at its root is not configured as a .net 'application'
either (and the .asp pages throughout the site would all fail if
it were, I think.)

IIS does not distinguish applications as ASP.NET or ASP. Any application can
have both. What you cannot have is different ASP.NET versions in the same
application. And under IIS6, you can't have different ASP.NET versions in
the same application pool.

As for the rest of your questions, I concur with Bob. Seek advice in an
ASP.NET forum.