Assembly Segments

Jeremy Cowles

I am trying to understand (and failing) how code segments work. I have the
following code:

segment .text

global _asm_main

_asm_main:

enter 0,0 ; setup routinepusha

Jeremy Cowles

CTRL+Enter sent my mail pre-maturely.

So, as I was saying, I have this asm code that specifies the following code
segments:

..text
..data
..bss

Are these segment names actually coded into the .EXE, or are they just
something that my Assembler understands? I am using NASM, and GCC, and am
linking C objects in with some assembly from a tutorial.

TIA,
Jeremy

Karl Heinz Buchegger

Jeremy said:
CTRL+Enter sent my mail pre-maturely.

So, as I was saying, I have this asm code that specifies the following code
segments:

.text
.data
.bss

Are these segment names actually coded into the .EXE, or are they just
something that my Assembler understands? I am using NASM, and GCC, and am
linking C objects in with some assembly from a tutorial.

TIA,
Jeremy

You are aware that this is comp.lang.c++?

Your question has nothing to do with C++ but everything
to do with assembler.

Jeremy Cowles

Do you know of a good assembly group? The only ones i could find were
absoultly dead.