Assistance on "framing" a section

Discussion in 'HTML' started by David Russell, Jul 3, 2005.

  1. Hi all,

    OK, I am totally sold on the "no frames" concept. I agree with people on
    this list that frames are evil and should be abolished where and when
    possible.

    On the other hand, I have a small problem.

    www.aquiva.co.za is a site I recently created, and in most cases, it works
    perfectly, however I have a problem with the "text" section of the page.

    If you go to a longer page (such as the privacy policy under "Site
    Information (at http://www.aquiva.co.za/site_privacy.php), you will see that
    there is a lot of text there. I generally don't like a lot of text, and will
    probably convert this to a PDF for downloadig, but how can I get just the
    content section to scroll?

    The content section is in a div called Main, and I would ideally like that
    section to be positioned absolutely and for only this section to scroll
    (since the menu, etc does not need to), is this possible?

    Looking forward to your replies

    David Russell
    David Russell, Jul 3, 2005

  2. David Russell wrote:
    > Hi all,

    Good afternoon.

    > OK, I am totally sold on the "no frames" concept. I agree with
    > people on this list that frames are evil and should be abolished
    > where and when possible.

    A reasonable statement, to be sure.

    > On the other hand, I have a small problem.
    >
    > www.aquiva.co.za is a site I recently created, and in most cases,
    > it works perfectly, however I have a problem with the "text"
    > section of the page.

    ...for some degree of "perfect." Your menus are not accessible to
    those visitors who do not have JavaScript available, or enabled. Like
    the Googlebot.

    For visitors who can see your menu, there is no indication for which
    pages have been visited. Use CSS to change color for visited links.

    For pages requiring any scrolling, your Aquiva graphic (which remains
    stationary) covers the text.

    > If you go to a longer page (such as the privacy policy under "Site
    > Information (at http://www.aquiva.co.za/site_privacy.php), you
    > will see that there is a lot of text there. I generally don't like
    > a lot of text, and will probably convert this to a PDF for
    > downloadig, but how can I get just the content section to scroll?

    Let the whole page scroll. Your logo is not nearly as important as
    your content. What will you do for visitors who do not have PDF
    readers, or who do not want to go through the several extra steps to
    read it?

    Stick with plain text content.

    > The content section is in a div called Main, and I would ideally
    > like that section to be positioned absolutely and for only this
    > section to scroll (since the menu, etc does not need to), is this
    > possible?

    Some browsers do not respect absolute position, so you should rethink
    the use of it.

    Please check with http://validator.w3.org/ as well.
    Oh, "We cover what you cant" needs an apostrophe. <g>

    --
    -bts
    -This space intentionally left blank.
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jul 3, 2005