Assistance on "framing" a section

David Russell

Hi all,

OK, I am totally sold on the "no frames" concept. I agree with people on
this list that frames are evil and should be abolished where and when
possible.

On the other hand, I have a small problem.

www.aquiva.co.za is a site I recently created, and in most cases, it works
perfectly, however I have a problem with the "text" section of the page.

If you go to a longer page (such as the privacy policy under "Site
Information (at http://www.aquiva.co.za/site_privacy.php), you will see that
there is a lot of text there. I generally don't like a lot of text, and will
probably convert this to a PDF for downloadig, but how can I get just the
content section to scroll?

The content section is in a div called Main, and I would ideally like that
section to be positioned absolutely and for only this section to scroll
(since the menu, etc does not need to), is this possible?

Looking forward to your replies

David Russell

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

David said:

Good afternoon.
OK, I am totally sold on the "no frames" concept. I agree with
people on this list that frames are evil and should be abolished
where and when possible.

A reasonable statement, to be sure.
On the other hand, I have a small problem.

www.aquiva.co.za is a site I recently created, and in most cases,
it works perfectly, however I have a problem with the "text"
section of the page.

...for some degree of "perfect." Your menus are not accessible to
those visitors who do not have JavaScript available, or enabled. Like
the Googlebot.

For visitors who can see your menu, there is no indication for which
pages have been visited. Use CSS to change color for visited links.

For pages requiring any scrolling, your Aquiva graphic (which remains
stationary) covers the text.
If you go to a longer page (such as the privacy policy under "Site
Information (at http://www.aquiva.co.za/site_privacy.php), you
will see that there is a lot of text there. I generally don't like
a lot of text, and will probably convert this to a PDF for
downloadig, but how can I get just the content section to scroll?

Let the whole page scroll. Your logo is not nearly as important as
your content. What will you do for visitors who do not have PDF
readers, or who do not want to go through the several extra steps to
read it?

Stick with plain text content.
The content section is in a div called Main, and I would ideally
like that section to be positioned absolutely and for only this
section to scroll (since the menu, etc does not need to), is this
possible?

Some browsers do not respect absolute position, so you should rethink
the use of it.

Please check with http://validator.w3.org/ as well.
Oh, "We cover what you cant" needs an apostrophe. <g>