Async webrequest calls and ASPX Asynchronous PreRequestHandler

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by DotNetShadow, Feb 7, 2005.

  1. DotNetShadow

    DotNetShadow Guest

    Hi Guys

    I came across this article which deals with Performance Considerations
    for Making Web Service Calls from ASPX Pages:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnservice/html/service07222003.asp

    The article talks about 3 approaches synchronous | asyncronous | and
    PrerequestHandler with asynchronous calls. I tried the sample that
    came with the article and the concept proves right.

    So I decided to try the same technique but this time instead of using
    a webservice I used webrequest as my long running process. After
    testing the code I realised that there was no difference in requests
    per second between 'asyncronous ' and 'PrerequestHandler with
    asynchronous calls'.

    QUESTIONS:
    ==========

    WEBPAGE.ASPX
    WebRequest1-->http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=test1
    WebRequest2-->http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=test2
    WebRequest3-->http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=test3

    Wait for all requests to complete
    Process results
    Display results to user

    1. Basically I need to know if it will work well for a scenario where
    I have to make 3 async webrequests to a site to retrieve its content
    so I can process and display results back to a user. The requests only
    take 2 - 3 secs on their own. My main concern is how many requests per
    second can I get through I have also changed the maxconnection limit
    from 2 to 40 (HTTP 1.1)

    2. I was just wondering if anyone has used the techniques described in
    the article, or has any suggestions on the best approach for this
    problem.

    3. What are the potential bottlenecks that webrequests have in terms
    of threadpool, blocking calls etc

    Regards Dotnetshadow

    DotNetShadow, Feb 7, 2005