    startup and then exit.

    Ive tried calling startup in a different thread, with the same result.

    /Emil

    Guest, Apr 5, 2007

  2. On 05.04.2007 09:52, Guest wrote:
    > I am trying to use a ruby script to start a apache tomcat server like
    > this:
    >
    > dir = "C:\\program\\apache-tomcat-5.5.20\\bin"
    > `#{dir}\\shutdown.bat` rescue nil
    > `#{dir}\\startup.bat`
    >

    > This works, except that the program never exits. I would like the
    > startup call to be made Asynchronous so that the script would just call
    > startup and then exit.
    >
    > Ive tried calling startup in a different thread, with the same result.

    You could use cmd's command "start".

    H:\>start /?
    Starts a separate window to run a specified program or command.

    START ["title"] [/D path] [/I] [/MIN] [/MAX] [/SEPARATE | /SHARED]
    [/LOW | /NORMAL | /HIGH | /REALTIME | /ABOVENORMAL | /BELOWNORMAL]
    [/AFFINITY <hex affinity>] [/WAIT] [/B] [command/program]
    [parameters]

    "title" Title to display in window title bar.
    path Starting directory
    B Start application without creating a new window. The
    application has ^C handling ignored. Unless the application
    enables ^C processing, ^Break is the only way to interrupt
    the application
    I The new environment will be the original environment passed
    to the cmd.exe and not the current environment.
    MIN Start window minimized
    MAX Start window maximized
    SEPARATE Start 16-bit Windows program in separate memory space
    SHARED Start 16-bit Windows program in shared memory space
    LOW Start application in the IDLE priority class
    NORMAL Start application in the NORMAL priority class
    HIGH Start application in the HIGH priority class
    REALTIME Start application in the REALTIME priority class
    ABOVENORMAL Start application in the ABOVENORMAL priority class
    BELOWNORMAL Start application in the BELOWNORMAL priority class
    AFFINITY The new application will have the specified processor
    affinity mask, expressed as a hexadecimal number.
    WAIT Start application and wait for it to terminate
    command/program
    If it is an internal cmd command or a batch file then
    the command processor is run with the /K switch to cmd.exe.
    This means that the window will remain after the command
    has been run.

    If it is not an internal cmd command or batch file then
    it is a program and will run as either a windowed
    application
    or a console application.

    parameters These are the parameters passed to the command/program

    If Command Extensions are enabled, external command invocation
    through the command line or the START command changes as follows:

    non-executable files may be invoked through their file association just
    by typing the name of the file as a command. (e.g. WORD.DOC would
    launch the application associated with the .DOC file extension).
    See the ASSOC and FTYPE commands for how to create these
    associations from within a command script.

    When executing an application that is a 32-bit GUI application, CMD.EXE
    does not wait for the application to terminate before returning to
    the command prompt. This new behavior does NOT occur if executing
    within a command script.

    When executing a command line whose first token is the string "CMD "
    without an extension or path qualifier, then "CMD" is replaced with
    the value of the COMSPEC variable. This prevents picking up CMD.EXE
    from the current directory.

    When executing a command line whose first token does NOT contain an
    extension, then CMD.EXE uses the value of the PATHEXT
    environment variable to determine which extensions to look for
    and in what order. The default value for the PATHEXT variable
    is:

    .COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD

    Notice the syntax is the same as the PATH variable, with
    semicolons separating the different elements.

    When searching for an executable, if there is no match on any extension,
    then looks to see if the name matches a directory name. If it does, the
    START command launches the Explorer on that path. If done from the
    command line, it is the equivalent to doing a CD /D to that path.

    H:\>

    robert
    Robert Klemme, Apr 5, 2007

    Guest

    On Thu, 5 Apr 2007, Guest wrote:

    > I am trying to use a ruby script to start a apache tomcat server like
    > this:
    >
    > dir = "C:\\program\\apache-tomcat-5.5.20\\bin"
    > `#{dir}\\shutdown.bat` rescue nil
    > `#{dir}\\startup.bat`
    >

    > This works, except that the program never exits. I would like the
    > startup call to be made Asynchronous so that the script would just call
    > startup and then exit.
    >
    > Ive tried calling startup in a different thread, with the same result.

    use exec

    > /Emil

    -a
    - the dalai lama