Asynchronous IO class or methods?

Daniel Berger

Hi all,

Are there any plans to add support for the POSIX functions aio_read,
aio_write, aio_waitn and aio_cancel to the Ruby standard library?

I thought perhaps an AIO (or perhaps NIO, ala Java) class would be
worthwhile. That or add methods to the existing IO class.

Or is there no point in doing that? Does io-reactor (RAA) already more
or less accomplish the same goal?

Regards,

Dan

Robert Klemme

Daniel Berger said:
Hi all,

Are there any plans to add support for the POSIX functions aio_read,
aio_write, aio_waitn and aio_cancel to the Ruby standard library?

I thought perhaps an AIO (or perhaps NIO, ala Java) class would be
worthwhile. That or add methods to the existing IO class.

Or is there no point in doing that? Does io-reactor (RAA) already more
or less accomplish the same goal?

My 0.02 EUR: I prefer to use threads for concurrent IO because that makes up
for much simpler code. Note also, that Ruby internally already uses
nonblocking IO.

Kind regards

robert