authenticating against shadow passwords

Eric S. Johansson

I'm writing an authentication module for the albatross Web development
system. I am taking the easy way out and implementing an
authentication system designed by people who are hopefully more
skilled with authentication systems than I[1].

In the process of development, I discovered that pwd.getpwnam() is not
fully functional in that I cannot access encrypted shadow password
entries either as an ordinary user or root. Doing a little bit of
research first, I discover this is a long-standing problem yet there
are no solutions described.

So, I would like to know if there is a workaround for Linux but
hopefully something that's portable to other *ixs or, if I'm just
wasting my time and should go build a separate database and tool set
for managing the database of users and passwords.

many thanks

---eric

[1] http://cookies.lcs.mit.edu