auto authenticate

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Anton, Apr 1, 2004.

  1. Anton

    Anton Guest

    I am running 2000 server, sp4, IIS 5

    I need to be able to autoexecute an asp page from a batch
    file that is placed in the windows scheduler.

    I can execute the page fine, but I can't get past the
    authentication. How do I pass the username and password
    to windows via the URL automatically so this can be done
    without any user action? This is not a https but it uses
    integrated windows authentication.

    I tried
    http://www.domain.com/page.asp&user=username&password=pass
    word

    AND

    http://username:/page.asp

    Found these examples in forums but they wouldn't work for
    me. The first one still prompted me for
    username,password. The second didn't work at all. (Do I
    need to specify domain somewhere?)

    I have to do this because I have a page that runs based
    on the calendar day, month, etc but doesn't necessarily
    get accessed everyday, so I need to make sure it gets
    accessed at least once a day so the proper actions are
    taken and everything is updated accordingly.

    Anton, Apr 1, 2004

  2. Why does it have to be an ASP page?
    http://www.aspfaq.com/2143

    --
    Aaron Bertrand
    SQL Server MVP

    Aaron Bertrand [MVP], Apr 1, 2004

  3. Anton,

    Microsoft has done away with sending credentials via URL, for security
    reasons. So, unless you are using a browser with no patches after say 2
    months ago, this will not work.

    You can however, try cookie authentication, where you check the cookie for a
    value and let the browser in. But, if the server has integrated security
    turned on, I guess you have to do this either manually, or programmatically
    using XMLHTTP.

    --
    Manohar Kamath
    Editor, .netWire

    Manohar Kamath [MVP], Apr 1, 2004
  4. Anton

    Roland Hall Guest

    :
[...]

    Basic authentication prompts for name and password. Integrated prompts for
    name, password and domain. IE is prompting you, not IIS. IIS only responds
    with what is supported. You may be experiencing an authorization failure
    and not an authentication failure.

    What are your IIS security settings for this particular page, which browser
    are you using, and what are your file system settings to that physical path
    on your server?

    --
    Roland Hall
    or fitness for a particular purpose. */