auto authenticate

Anton

I am running 2000 server, sp4, IIS 5

I need to be able to autoexecute an asp page from a batch
file that is placed in the windows scheduler.

I can execute the page fine, but I can't get past the
authentication. How do I pass the username and password
to windows via the URL automatically so this can be done
without any user action? This is not a https but it uses
integrated windows authentication.

I tried
http://www.domain.com/page.asp&user=username&password=pass
word

AND

http://username:[email protected]/page.asp

Found these examples in forums but they wouldn't work for
me. The first one still prompted me for
username,password. The second didn't work at all. (Do I
need to specify domain somewhere?)

I have to do this because I have a page that runs based
on the calendar day, month, etc but doesn't necessarily
get accessed everyday, so I need to make sure it gets
accessed at least once a day so the proper actions are
taken and everything is updated accordingly.

Manohar Kamath [MVP]

Anton,

Microsoft has done away with sending credentials via URL, for security
reasons. So, unless you are using a browser with no patches after say 2
months ago, this will not work.

You can however, try cookie authentication, where you check the cookie for a
value and let the browser in. But, if the server has integrated security
turned on, I guess you have to do this either manually, or programmatically
using XMLHTTP.

Roland Hall

in message : I am running 2000 server, sp4, IIS 5
:
[...]

Basic authentication prompts for name and password. Integrated prompts for
name, password and domain. IE is prompting you, not IIS. IIS only responds
with what is supported. You may be experiencing an authorization failure
and not an authentication failure.

What are your IIS security settings for this particular page, which browser
are you using, and what are your file system settings to that physical path
on your server?

--
Roland Hall
or fitness for a particular purpose. */