Automated function call invocation diagram???

Peter Olcott

Does anyone know of any good software that automatically
produces a function call invocation diagram for C/C++
programs?
I think that this would be very useful for determining the
possible side-effects of making changes to a function.

BobF

Peter said:
Does anyone know of any good software that automatically
produces a function call invocation diagram for C/C++
programs?
I think that this would be very useful for determining the
possible side-effects of making changes to a function.

doxygen might do it ...

Scott McPhillips [MVP]

Peter Olcott said:
Does anyone know of any good software that automatically produces a
function call invocation diagram for C/C++ programs?
I think that this would be very useful for determining the possible
side-effects of making changes to a function.

Try Visual Studio. Right click on the function name and pick "Call Browser"

Peter Olcott

Scott McPhillips said:
Try Visual Studio. Right click on the function name and
pick "Call Browser"

I will try that tomorrow when I get to work, apparently 6.0
does not have this feature. What I would like to see in a
single place is the entire function call chain for a single
function, I would like to see (for example) is exactly which
GUI or actions ended up invoking this function.

Peter Olcott

BobF said:
doxygen might do it ...

Doxygen does do it, and it does a superb job. Here are the
details:

This is the current main page.
http://www.stack.nl/~dimitri/doxygen/

www.graphviz.org
This package must be installed first.

Use the Wizard to generate the Doxyfile and specify "Call
Graph" on the Diagrams tab. To generate the Caller Graph you
click on the [Expert] button, and Scroll over to the [Dot]
tab, and select the CALLER_GRAPH CheckBox.

This system generates some very excellent Call and Caller
Graphs in HTML, The graphs are created as graphics image
files,
and include image based links to the details of every node
on the graph.

Peter Olcott

The main reason that I wanted to see the Caller Graphs was
to derive a much more effective process for analytically
detecting possible side-effects of changes to functions. The
idea here is to trace the function invocation all the way
back up to its original GUI invocation. From this analysis
it can be clearly determined which user actions would be
ultimately effected by changes to a specific function. This
result also points to the exact place where regression tests
could be inserted.