    programs?
    I think that this would be very useful for determining the
    possible side-effects of making changes to a function.
    Peter Olcott, Aug 15, 2008

  2. Peter Olcott

    BobF Guest

    Peter Olcott wrote:
    > Does anyone know of any good software that automatically
    > produces a function call invocation diagram for C/C++
    > programs?
    > I think that this would be very useful for determining the
    > possible side-effects of making changes to a function.

    doxygen might do it ...
    BobF, Aug 15, 2008

  3. "Peter Olcott" <> wrote in message
    > Does anyone know of any good software that automatically produces a
    > function call invocation diagram for C/C++ programs?
    > I think that this would be very useful for determining the possible
    > side-effects of making changes to a function.

    Try Visual Studio. Right click on the function name and pick "Call Browser"

    --
    Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]
    Scott McPhillips [MVP], Aug 15, 2008
  4. Peter Olcott

    Peter Olcott Guest

    "Scott McPhillips [MVP]" <org-dot-mvps-at-scottmcp> wrote in
    message news:OrPTEin$...
    > "Peter Olcott" <> wrote in message
    >> Does anyone know of any good software that automatically
    >> produces a function call invocation diagram for C/C++
    >> programs?
    >> I think that this would be very useful for determining
    >> the possible side-effects of making changes to a
    >> function.

    > Try Visual Studio. Right click on the function name and
    > pick "Call Browser"
    >
    > --
    > Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

    I will try that tomorrow when I get to work, apparently 6.0
    does not have this feature. What I would like to see in a
    single place is the entire function call chain for a single
    function, I would like to see (for example) is exactly which
    GUI or actions ended up invoking this function.
    Peter Olcott, Aug 15, 2008
  5. Peter Olcott

    Peter Olcott Guest

    "BobF" <> wrote in message
    > Peter Olcott wrote:
    >> Does anyone know of any good software that automatically
    >> produces a function call invocation diagram for C/C++
    >> programs?
    >> I think that this would be very useful for determining
    >> the possible side-effects of making changes to a
    >> function.

    > doxygen might do it ...

    Doxygen does do it, and it does a superb job. Here are the
    details:

    This is the current main page.
    http://www.stack.nl/~dimitri/doxygen/

    www.graphviz.org
    This package must be installed first.

    Use the Wizard to generate the Doxyfile and specify "Call
    Graph" on the Diagrams tab. To generate the Caller Graph you
    click on the [Expert] button, and Scroll over to the [Dot]
    tab, and select the CALLER_GRAPH CheckBox.

    This system generates some very excellent Call and Caller
    Graphs in HTML, The graphs are created as graphics image
    files,
    and include image based links to the details of every node
    on the graph.
    Peter Olcott, Aug 17, 2008
  6. Peter Olcott

    Peter Olcott Guest

    The main reason that I wanted to see the Caller Graphs was
    to derive a much more effective process for analytically
    detecting possible side-effects of changes to functions. The
    idea here is to trace the function invocation all the way
    back up to its original GUI invocation. From this analysis
    it can be clearly determined which user actions would be
    ultimately effected by changes to a specific function. This
    result also points to the exact place where regression tests
    could be inserted.

    Peter Olcott, Aug 17, 2008