Automatic tag variables in IE

acw

I am trying to understand how IE handles automatic tag variables.

I know that IE will create a global variable each time it finds a tag
with its name or id attribute set. If you have more than one tag with
the same name or id (yes this is bad) on a page then that global
variable goes from being a tag reference to being a collection of