Automatically reformatting uploaded images

teddysnips

Our client has asked us to provide for users adding their own images
that will be used as hyperlinks on the website, in order to
personalise their browsing experience (or something like that!)

Anyway, apparently it's crucial that the user (who may not necessarily
be technically literate) should be able to upload almost any image
file, and that the system should then shrink, resize or otherwise crop
it to fit into an oval shape.

I haven't actually committed us to do this, and while I could imagine
being able to do it manually in Photoshop or Paintshop Pro, I wonder
if it's feasible to automate this in some way.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks

Edward

kimiraikkonen

Our client has asked us to provide for users adding their own images
that will be used as hyperlinks on the website, in order to
personalise their browsing experience (or something like that!)

Anyway, apparently it's crucial that the user (who may not necessarily
be technically literate) should be able to upload almost any image
file, and that the system should then shrink, resize or otherwise crop
it to fit into an oval shape.

I haven't actually committed us to do this, and while I could imagine
being able to do it manually in Photoshop or Paintshop Pro, I wonder
if it's feasible to automate this in some way.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks

Edward

Hi Edward,
Of course you can resize and crop image using GDI+.

Look at these article that contains both:
(You can convert C# to VB.NET or vice-versa using an online converter,
though it may not be much precise, you can fix the missing parts of
conversion by yourself).
http://www.bobpowell.net/changing_resolution.htm

....and
http://www.vb-helper.com/howto_net_image_resize.html
http://www.codeproject.com/KB/GDI-plus/imageresize.aspx

and Google.

Hope this helps,

Onur Güzel

Jeff Johnson

Try System.Drawings. Of course it depends what you want to do (i.e for
cropping you need to understand the image content).

Also try to carefully select the groups where you post (i.e. asp.net would
be likely enough)...

Actually, if the OP has further graphics-specific questions, I would
recommend microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.drawing.