Aw Ma - Do I *have* to use tags? ;-(

Discussion in 'Java' started by milkyway, Dec 16, 2004.

  1. milkyway

    milkyway Guest

    Hello all,

    I am a newbie to struts and was in the process of putting something
    together. From what I can see, one would turn an HTML page to a .jsp
    page and use the tag libraries to convert what is written in HTML to
    something "strut-like"?

    I have a lot of HTML code with me. Do I *have* to use the tag libs for
    the HTML controls or can I just use them for the ones that will be
    going back to the server (i.e. going to the container with
    request.setXXX, session.setXXX, application.setXXX, etc.)?

    I was using struts because it seems (at least it is advertised) that
    validation can happen if it is used.

    For example, if I have an entry field whose value will be sent to a
    javascript function and then sent to a second field on the screen. The
    second field (with the correct data) is the one that should go back to
    the server.

    Given that that is the case, should I just use a taglib on the second
    field and not the first - since the second one is the one that will go
    to the server? The rest of the page can be just regular, old, plane,
    jane HTML.

    Can someone provide some insight?

    Kindest Regards.

    milkyway, Dec 16, 2004

  2. milkyway

    Sime Guest

    Hello,

    you do not have to use struts tags at all.
    It doesn't matter that form is regular html form FormBean will populate it .
    Try to read more about struts on apache site.

    Sime, Dec 17, 2004

  3. milkyway

    milkyway Guest

    Re: Aw Ma - Do I *have* to use tags? ;-(

    Hi Sime,

    Thank you for responding ;-)

    If one does not have to use html tags, then (sorry if this has already
    been asked before) why use them at all?

    Kindest Regards.

    milkyway, Dec 17, 2004
  4. milkyway

    Sudsy Guest

    Re: Aw Ma - Do I *have* to use tags? ;-(

    milkyway wrote:
    > Hi Sime,
    >
    > Thank you for responding ;-)
    >
    > If one does not have to use html tags, then (sorry if this has already
    > been asked before) why use them at all?

    <snip>

    They handle certain situations well. I'm thinking in particular about
    such things as URL rewriting when the client doesn't support cookies.
    Even the html:html tag does more than just generate the html tag...

    Sudsy, Dec 17, 2004