Back up

Nico Schuyt

Probably like most of you I make backup's of all my files used for websites.
Only thing that's missing is a backup of myself :)
Some of my customers (especially the ones with complex database or CMS) ask
sometimes what happens when I'm suddenly (heart attack?) no longer
available.
I've concidered to ask another website builder to be backup but the problem
is it will probably never be necessary and besides I find it hard to find
someone who has the necessary skills (in the neighbourhood).
Just curious how you deal with this problem.
Nico

Nico Schuyt

I'm not so good at that point. Certainly not after the heart attack :)
and ftp access.

OK, that's not the problem. What I need is a someone who is fairly good in
things like CSS, MySQL and PHP (in the north-west of Holland).
Nico

brucie

Some of my customers (especially the ones with complex database or CMS) ask
sometimes what happens when I'm suddenly (heart attack?) no longer
available.

be honest, tell 'em you don't give a shit because you'll be dead.

the last time i checked it was clear that dead people didn't care about
anything or at least they didn't indicate in any way that they did when
questioned.
I've concidered to ask another website builder to be backup but the problem
is it will probably never be necessary and besides I find it hard to find
someone who has the necessary skills (in the neighbourhood).

just do a list of other developers that may be able to handle the work.
Just curious how you deal with this problem.

to help whoever gets stuck with the job you should keep paperwork with
your will (or somewhere it can be found easily) of how you would like
all the little issues dealt with when you're gone or non compus mentis.
don't forget domain regos, passwords, email etc etc etc and especially
naming someone who knows how to do the internet related stuff.

Nico Schuyt

brucie said:
Nico Schuyt said:
be honest, tell 'em you don't give a shit because you'll be dead.
the last time i checked it was clear that dead people didn't care
about anything or at least they didn't indicate in any way that they
did when questioned.

Untill then I feel responsible :)
just do a list of other developers that may be able to handle the
work.

Not so easy to find. There appear to be hundreds of designers in the
region. I checked a dozen but was not very pleased with what I saw.
to help whoever gets stuck with the job you should keep paperwork with
your will (or somewhere it can be found easily) of how you would like
all the little issues dealt with when you're gone or non compus
mentis. don't forget domain regos, passwords, email etc etc etc

My customers already have that information :)
and
especially naming someone who knows how to do the internet related
stuff.

That 'someone' I'm looking for!

Thanks so far, Nico

Toby A Inkster

Nico said:
Some of my customers (especially the ones with complex database or CMS) ask
sometimes what happens when I'm suddenly (heart attack?) no longer
available.

Just write clean code and comment well -- then anyone coming along to pick
up your work shouldn't have any problems.

Nico Schuyt

Toby said:
Nico Schuyt wrote:
Just write clean code and comment well -- then anyone coming along to
pick up your work shouldn't have any problems.

'anyone'? Well, I'm not so sure. Sure, the quality of coding and comments is
important, but I just had a quick look at the quality of the sites of a
couple of website builders (all frames and deprecated coding), I don't dare
to advice them to my customers :-(
Nico

Wipkip

While sitting in a puddle Nico Schuyt scribbled in the mud:
My customers already have that information :)

Looks like it's ok for you to go ahead with your death. Been nice knowing
you & hope it's not to hot when you get down there. ;)

Nico Schuyt

Wipkip said:
While sitting in a puddle Nico Schuyt scribbled in the mud:
Looks like it's ok for you to go ahead with your death. Been nice
knowing you & hope it's not to hot when you get down there. ;)

'not to hot down there'? You mean hell perhaps?
Well I surely don't hope I'll go to heaven. Must be extremely dull up there.
Probably *everybody* is affraid for heaven, that's why we sin so much :)
Nico