    someone who has the necessary skills (in the neighbourhood).
    Just curious how you deal with this problem.
    Nico
    Nico Schuyt, Dec 10, 2003

  2. Nico Schuyt wrote:
    > Only thing that's missing is a backup of myself :)
    >Just curious how you deal with this problem.

    Charm

    and ftp access.

    --
    William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com
    William Tasso, Dec 10, 2003

  3. Nico Schuyt

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    William Tasso wrote:
    > Nico Schuyt wrote:
    >> Only thing that's missing is a backup of myself :)
    >> Just curious how you deal with this problem.

    > Charm

    I'm not so good at that point. Certainly not after the heart attack :)

    > and ftp access.

    OK, that's not the problem. What I need is a someone who is fairly good in
    things like CSS, MySQL and PHP (in the north-west of Holland).
    Nico
    Nico Schuyt, Dec 10, 2003
  4. Nico Schuyt

    brucie Guest

    in post <news:3fd726fb$0$21385$>
    Nico Schuyt said:

    > Some of my customers (especially the ones with complex database or CMS) ask
    > sometimes what happens when I'm suddenly (heart attack?) no longer
    > available.

    be honest, tell 'em you don't give a shit because you'll be dead.

    the last time i checked it was clear that dead people didn't care about
    anything or at least they didn't indicate in any way that they did when
    questioned.

    > I've concidered to ask another website builder to be backup but the problem
    > is it will probably never be necessary and besides I find it hard to find
    > someone who has the necessary skills (in the neighbourhood).

    just do a list of other developers that may be able to handle the work.

    > Just curious how you deal with this problem.

    to help whoever gets stuck with the job you should keep paperwork with
    your will (or somewhere it can be found easily) of how you would like
    all the little issues dealt with when you're gone or non compus mentis.
    don't forget domain regos, passwords, email etc etc etc and especially
    naming someone who knows how to do the internet related stuff.

    --
    brucie
    11/December/2003 12:42:49 am kilo
    brucie, Dec 10, 2003
  5. Nico Schuyt

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    brucie wrote:
    > Nico Schuyt said:

    >> Some of my customers (especially the ones with complex database or
    >> CMS) ask sometimes what happens when I'm suddenly (heart attack?) no
    >> longer available.

    > be honest, tell 'em you don't give a shit because you'll be dead.
    > the last time i checked it was clear that dead people didn't care
    > about anything or at least they didn't indicate in any way that they
    > did when questioned.

    Untill then I feel responsible :)

    >> I've concidered to ask another website builder to be backup but the
    >> problem is it will probably never be necessary and besides I find it
    >> hard to find someone who has the necessary skills (in the
    >> neighbourhood).

    > just do a list of other developers that may be able to handle the
    > work.

    Not so easy to find. There appear to be hundreds of designers in the
    region. I checked a dozen but was not very pleased with what I saw.

    >> Just curious how you deal with this problem.

    > to help whoever gets stuck with the job you should keep paperwork with
    > your will (or somewhere it can be found easily) of how you would like
    > all the little issues dealt with when you're gone or non compus
    > mentis. don't forget domain regos, passwords, email etc etc etc

    My customers already have that information :)

    > and
    > especially naming someone who knows how to do the internet related
    > stuff.

    That 'someone' I'm looking for!

    Thanks so far, Nico
    Nico Schuyt, Dec 10, 2003
  6. Nico Schuyt wrote:

    > Some of my customers (especially the ones with complex database or CMS) ask
    > sometimes what happens when I'm suddenly (heart attack?) no longer
    > available.

    Just write clean code and comment well -- then anyone coming along to pick
    up your work shouldn't have any problems.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby A Inkster, Dec 10, 2003
  7. Nico Schuyt

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    Toby A Inkster wrote:
    > Nico Schuyt wrote:

    >> Some of my customers (especially the ones with complex database or
    >> CMS) ask sometimes what happens when I'm suddenly (heart attack?) no
    >> longer available.

    > Just write clean code and comment well -- then anyone coming along to
    > pick up your work shouldn't have any problems.

    'anyone'? Well, I'm not so sure. Sure, the quality of coding and comments is
    important, but I just had a quick look at the quality of the sites of a
    couple of website builders (all frames and deprecated coding), I don't dare
    to advice them to my customers :-(
    Nico
    Nico Schuyt, Dec 10, 2003
  8. Nico Schuyt

    Wipkip Guest

    While sitting in a puddle Nico Schuyt scribbled in the mud:

    > brucie wrote:
    >> Nico Schuyt said:

    >> to help whoever gets stuck with the job you should keep paperwork with
    >> your will (or somewhere it can be found easily) of how you would like
    >> all the little issues dealt with when you're gone or non compus
    >> mentis. don't forget domain regos, passwords, email etc etc etc

    > My customers already have that information :)

    Looks like it's ok for you to go ahead with your death. Been nice knowing
    you & hope it's not to hot when you get down there. ;)

    --
    Duende
    Wipkip, Dec 11, 2003
  9. Nico Schuyt

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    Wipkip wrote:
    > While sitting in a puddle Nico Schuyt scribbled in the mud:

    >> My customers already have that information :)

    > Looks like it's ok for you to go ahead with your death. Been nice
    > knowing you & hope it's not to hot when you get down there. ;)

    'not to hot down there'? You mean hell perhaps?
    Well I surely don't hope I'll go to heaven. Must be extremely dull up there.
    Probably *everybody* is affraid for heaven, that's why we sin so much :)
    Nico
    Nico Schuyt, Dec 11, 2003