    What, in your opnion, would be the maximum allowable file size for a
    background .jpg, so as not to impede most viewers?

    -TG
    Tim Gill, May 7, 2004

  2. "Tim Gill" <0m> wrote:

    > What, in your opnion, would be the maximum allowable file size for a
    > background .jpg, so as not to impede most viewers?

    50k

    The Doormouse

    The Doormouse, May 7, 2004

  3. Tim Gill

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Fri, 07 May 2004 03:26:12 GMT, The Doormouse <>
    declared in alt.html:
    > "Tim Gill" <0m> wrote:
    >
    >> What, in your opnion, would be the maximum allowable file size for a
    >> background .jpg, so as not to impede most viewers?

    > 50k

    Most viewers are still on dialup - your *entire page* (including media)
    shouldn't even be that big.

    To the OP: don't use a background image at all. Chances are it will just
    make the text hard to read, and detract from your actual content. Plus
    the added download time, of course.

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
    Mark Parnell, May 7, 2004
  4. Tim Gill

    Tim Gill Guest

    > To the OP: don't use a background image at all. Chances are it will just
    > make the text hard to read, and detract from your actual content. Plus
    > the added download time, of course.
    >
    > --
    > Mark Parnell
    > http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

    Download size is the biggest issue- the background image is behind a set of
    solid-colored divs that have the actual page content on them. I know using
    an image in the background can be a tricky thing to do in good taste. ;-P
    -TG
    Tim Gill, May 7, 2004
  5. Tim Gill

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Fri, 07 May 2004 03:53:26 GMT, "Tim Gill" <0m>
    declared in alt.html:

    > Download size is the biggest issue-

    Yes, though as long as the page content loads first (and is readable
    without the image), it shouldn't matter _too_ much. If the image is
    specified in the CSS, the content should load first (though it can't be
    guaranteed).

    > the background image is behind a set of
    > solid-colored divs that have the actual page content on them. I know using
    > an image in the background can be a tricky thing to do in good taste. ;-P

    Fair enough. I'd still recommend not much more than ~15k.

    Mark Parnell, May 7, 2004
  6. Tim Gill

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <91Dmc.5964$>, swinger_oo6
    @h0tmail.c0m says...
    > What, in your opnion, would be the maximum allowable file size for a
    > background .jpg, so as not to impede most viewers?

    If you are going to do that, then you are pretty safe using 700- 750 px.
    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com
    Whitecrest, May 7, 2004
  7. In article Tim Gill wrote:
    > What, in your opnion, would be the maximum allowable file size for a
    > background .jpg, so as not to impede most viewers?

    5k. You don't need more, as background image needs to be low contrast, so
    progressive encoding don't look that bad.

    I'm looking for work | Etsin työtä
    Lauri Raittila, May 7, 2004
  8. Tim Gill

    Tim Gill Guest

    Thanks all for the help.
    Another question- what's the best way to compress a grayscale (8 bit) jpg?
    New file type?

    Thanks
    -TG
    Tim Gill, May 8, 2004