Background image

jodleren

HI

I have a background image for my page, as

My problem is, that it "flashes" when the page reloads. The file is
some 74 Kb, in order to fill the entire page.
Probably a smaller file might fix the problem?
Or reduce colours? That might be ugly though?
Which better, file size or image size?

Is there any way to avoid that?

BR
Sonnich

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit jodleren:
I have a background image for my page, as

Bad idea on several grounds. If its .jpg, it's probably a photo, and photos
very seldom make good backgrounds. Moreover, you're violating the principle
of always setting background image (or lack thereof), background color, text
color, and link colors together if you set one of them.
My problem is, that it "flashes" when the page reloads.

Not unexpected. This is one of the reasons for the principle I mentioned. By
using a background color that resembles the background image, you reduce the
disturbance. This works reasonably for background images that are ornamental
and lack strong color contrasts - as background images generally should.
The file is some 74 Kb,

Oh my. I bet there's less than 1% of that in actual page _content_.
in order to fill the entire page.

You have no idea of why and how background images should be used, do you?
Is there any way to avoid that?

Yes. Stop creating the problem. Don't start using background images before
you have an idea of how they should be used.

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Mon, 10 Sep 2007 08:14:37 GMT
jodleren scribed:

I have a background image for my page, as

My problem is, that it "flashes" when the page reloads.

In what browser? You're probably talking about <= ie6, and such things
tend to happen that way.
The file is
some 74 Kb, in order to fill the entire page.

A bit hefty for a background image. Still, once cached, any "flashing"
should be minimal.
Probably a smaller file might fix the problem?
Or reduce colours? That might be ugly though?
Which better, file size or image size?

Don't think it matters much
Is there any way to avoid that?

Your styling markup is antiquated; css is the new standard and should be
utilized for better overall performance.