Backticks failing in Ruby built with VC++ 8

Daniel Berger

Hi all,

Ruby 1.8.5 p12
Windows XP SP2

I'm getting a segfault when I use the backtick operator in a Ruby built
with VC++ 8:

pwd = `pwd`.chomp

It works fine with the one click (VC++ 6).

Is anyone else seeing this behavior? I want to make sure I haven't done
something silly before officially filing this as a bug report. If it is
a bug, I'm guessing I need to examine the CreateChild function in Ruby's
win32.c file. Please point me to the appropriate location if that's not
correct.

Thanks,

Dan

Eric Hodel

Hi all,

Ruby 1.8.5 p12
Windows XP SP2

I'm getting a segfault when I use the backtick operator in a Ruby
built with VC++ 8:

pwd = `pwd`.chomp

It works fine with the one click (VC++ 6).

Is anyone else seeing this behavior? I want to make sure I haven't
done something silly before officially filing this as a bug
report. If it is a bug, I'm guessing I need to examine the
CreateChild function in Ruby's win32.c file. Please point me to the
appropriate location if that's not correct.

Isn't pwd a shell builtin on WinXP?

Nobuyoshi Nakada

Hi,

At Sun, 28 Jan 2007 13:14:14 +0900,
Daniel Berger wrote in [ruby-talk:236504]:
Yes. Is that significant?

Really?

C:\Documents and Settings\nobu>us
Active code page: 437
C:\Documents and Settings\nobu>ver

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

C:\Documents and Settings\nobu>pwd
'pwd' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Daniel Berger

Nobuyoshi said:
Hi,

At Sun, 28 Jan 2007 13:14:14 +0900,
Daniel Berger wrote in [ruby-talk:236504]:
Yes. Is that significant?

Really?

C:\Documents and Settings\nobu>us
Active code page: 437
C:\Documents and Settings\nobu>ver

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

C:\Documents and Settings\nobu>pwd
'pwd' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Oh, you're right (I got it from Unix Utils). But, it doesn't matter. It
happens with any command. I tried 'dir', 'path', etc.

Regards,

Dan

Daniel Berger

Eric said:
It seems to be.

`ruby -v` works for me, but `pwd` doesn't.

As I responded to Nobu, it happens with any command. Besides, 'pwd'
works if you're using the Windows PowerShell. :)

Dan