Backtrace / crash report on segfault w/o user interaction

NeoTrantor

Hi,

is there any way to print/log a backtrace or crash report on segfault
without the need of user interaction? I know I could run my program
via gdb and use "bt" to see what happened on crash but the program I
want to debug is a server which *must* be restarted immediately after
it crashed. I didn't find an auto-restart like feature in gdb. Tools
like valgrind came also in option but they slow down too much.
All I need is a simple information on what function/call caused the
crash that can be logged into a file or at least dumped to stdout/
stderr.

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Erik_Wikstr=F6m?=

Hi,

is there any way to print/log a backtrace or crash report on segfault
without the need of user interaction? I know I could run my program
via gdb and use "bt" to see what happened on crash but the program I
want to debug is a server which *must* be restarted immediately after
it crashed. I didn't find an auto-restart like feature in gdb. Tools
like valgrind came also in option but they slow down too much.
All I need is a simple information on what function/call caused the
crash that can be logged into a file or at least dumped to stdout/
stderr.

This is totally up to the environment (OS + other apps) you are using
and independent of whatever language was used to develop the app or
debuggers. Thus this is off-topic here, try the newsgroups/mailing-
lists/forums of your OS.

NeoTrantor

This is totally up to the environment (OS + other apps) you are using
and independent of whatever language was used to develop the app or
debuggers. Thus this is off-topic here, try the newsgroups/mailing-
lists/forums of your OS.

Yup, I forgot to mention the OS, sorry. It's Linux, but I'll try a
suitable ng.
Thanks.