    does anyone knows the origins of this expression? it references to some
    rpg or something?

    kind regards

    kashdan, Aug 17, 2012

    http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/N/nasal-demons.html

    --
    Vincenzo Mercuri

    Vincenzo Mercuri, Aug 17, 2012

  3. kashdan

    Eric Sosman Guest

    On 8/17/2012 6:03 PM, kashdan wrote:
    > hello world
    >
    > the teacher in my class told us this english expression, "bad c code is
    > like a daemon's nose". however, we dont understand why this is used.
    >
    > does anyone knows the origins of this expression? it references to some
    > rpg or something?

    "Like a d[a]emon's nose" is not familiar to me. However,
    "demons will fly out of your nose" was often used as a comical
    description of the possible consequences of undefined behavior.
    Perhaps your teacher was indicating that bad C code is likely
    to find itself engaging in undefined behavior.

    The original ANSI Standard introduced the phrase "undefined
    behavior" to the C community at large, and when that Standard
    was new there was quite a flurry of bizarre descriptions of U.B.
    Every day or two a new and odder one would appear on Usenet; the
    one I myself liked best was "chocolate pudding will ooze from
    your keyboard." After a while, though, the game of inventing
    ever odder U.B. descriptions grew stale, and "demons will fly
    out of your nose" became standard usage. It was often shortened
    to just "nasal demons," or even re-rendered in an oblique form
    like "if `x' is negative at this point, you may hear creaking
    from your nasal cavities as the demons stretch their wings."

    <http://catb.org/jargon/html/N/nasal-demons.html>
    <http://dialspace.dial.pipex.com/town/green/gfd34/art/> (bottom)

    --
    Eric Sosman

    Eric Sosman, Aug 17, 2012
  4. kashdan

    Eric Sosman Guest

    On 8/17/2012 6:23 PM, Eric Sosman wrote:
    >[...]
    > <http://dialspace.dial.pipex.com/town/green/gfd34/art/> (bottom)

    Oops! When you get there, navigate to "Bloopers" and *then*
    scroll to the bottom. Sorry!

    --
    Eric Sosman

    Eric Sosman, Aug 17, 2012
  5. On Aug 18, 5:23 am, Eric Sosman <> wrote:
    >... or even re-rendered in an oblique form
    > like "if `x' is negative at this point, you may hear creaking
    > from your nasal cavities as the demons stretch their wings."

    I've written some bad C code off and on over the
    decades and have developed chronic rhinitis and sinusitis.
    I finally understand why.

    James

    James Dow Allen, Aug 18, 2012