barcode decoding from an image

Krishna Sagiraju

Hai,
I gotta decode a barcode from an image ( ppm, bmp, or jpg). I realize the
first milestone would be to recognize a barcode with in the image:

I took a small window (say 80X80 pixels) and if a barcode is present in
this window all pixels horizontally would have the same values. Well as you
can see this is not perfect. I'm right now working with PPM image.

and then to decode the barcode itself (which i've no clue how to do).

I've searched the for a long time but could not find any help regarding
barcode decoding. I would appritiate if any of you can provide me any help
at all. I would also appriciate if you could give me a better algorithm for
detecting a barcode.

Thanks in advance.

Krishna

Malcolm

Krishna Sagiraju said:
I gotta decode a barcode from an image ( ppm, bmp, or jpg). I > realize
the first milestone would be to recognize a barcode with
in the image:
Try comp.programming or comp.graphics.
The fact that you are implementing your algorithm in C doesn't make it
topical on a language group.