Barcode reader and C++

bintom

I want info on how I can use a bar code reader to read bar codes and
interface with a C++ program which might be simulating a supermarket
checkout counter. Any help will be appreciated.

Bintom

osmium

bintom said:
I want info on how I can use a bar code reader to read bar codes and
interface with a C++ program which might be simulating a supermarket
checkout counter. Any help will be appreciated.

It seems to me that a simulator needs no detail at all on the bar code
apparatus; consequently I can't imagine what kind of help you want. The
apparatus knows what to do and does it. It presents decoded bar codes to
your simulator at a rate depending on the human presenting the items for
scanning. What else is there to know? If you need more, start at
Wikipedia.

bintom

It seems to me that a simulator needs no detail at all on the bar code
apparatus; consequently I can't imagine what kind of help you want.   The
apparatus knows what to do and does it.  It presents decoded bar codes to
your simulator at a rate depending on the human presenting the items for
scanning.  What else is there to know?   If you need more, start at
Wikipedia.

Basically, I'd like to know after jacking the reader to a port on my
PC, how do I make my C++ program understand/interpret the code in the
barcode.

Osmium, if you can't find a way to help, pls don't bother to write-in.

Bintom

Alf P. Steinbach

* bintom, on 07.06.2010 14:56:
I want info on how I can use a bar code reader to read bar codes and
interface with a C++ program which might be simulating a supermarket
checkout counter. Any help will be appreciated.

You use the API and documentation provided with the bar code reader; this
depends entirely on the bar code reader.

And sorry, that's off-topic in this group, except if you run into some C++
language issue.

However, as general advice, just simulate the bar code reader also, so that you
get going with the main program.

Cheers & hth.,

- Alf

Victor Bazarov

Basically, I'd like to know after jacking the reader to a port on my
PC, how do I make my C++ program understand/interpret the code in the
barcode.

You call functions. Which ones? We can't help you. C++ *language*
does not define "barcode reader". The interface is without a doubt
specific to the device. Contact the maker of the device or look on the
web for a library that would service your device.
Osmium, if you can't find a way to help, pls don't bother to write-in.

Bintom, if you don't know where to ask your questions, don't get all
upset if you don't get they answered the way you want. Asking for a
pound of trout in a tool shop won't get you fish. And don't tell others
how, or what, to post. See how annoying that is? If you want help,
find the right place to ask for it.