    from (irb):1
    from C:/Ruby191/bin/irb:12:in ‘<main>’

    Any help would be much appreciated.

    Karl Halvorson, Jul 25, 2010

  2. Karl Halvorson

    X Heruacles Guest

    please provide your script first..then we can do a little help

    X Heruacles, Jul 25, 2010

  3. Hello Karl,

    Try going through these books to get started in Ruby -
    http://www.humblelittlerubybook.com/book/hlrb.pdf
    http://www.sapphiresteel.com/The-Book-Of-Ruby

    I have quoted these as they are readily available on the internet for
    free. And as pointed out by Heruacles, posting the code snippet with
    which you have a problem will help the forum give you better answers.

    After you write code in notepad (try notepad++ or any other code editor
    which will give you syntax highlighting, this will help you learn
    easily) save the file with a .rb extension anywhere on your computer
    (have a separate folder for this to keep your ruby files in one place).

    Setting the PATH environment variable to the ruby->bin folder helps you
    launch the ruby interpreter from the command line (from any path). If
    you have installed ruby in your C drive for e.g., the bin dir would be
    c:\ruby-1.9.1\bin
    Add this path to the PATH environment variable.

    After this, you can open command prompt, navigate to the path where you
    saved your ruby file and type 'ruby filename'. For e.g, if you have
    saved your file in a folder called 'my scripts' on D with the name
    'first.rb', you must type the following in the command prompt
    D:\my scripts>ruby first.rb

    Phani Medicharla, Jul 25, 2010
  4. On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 3:28 AM, Karl Halvorson <>w=
    rote:

    > I am new to Ruby and have been looking for some basic beginner help. I
    > have not been able to find a beginner forum anywhere, so I apologize if
    > this is too basic a question for this group. I have installed ruby
    > 1.9.1 on my windows 7 pc and have had success using interactive ruby
    > (and the Windows command prompt). Where I am stuck is creating a script
    > in notepad and then running that script. It seems a bit peculiar to me
    > that all the beginning tutorials that I have tried just say to create
    > these scripts, but they don=92t mention where they need to be saved. I
    > also have not come across any tutorials that cover configuring the ruby
    > file path. I believe I have written and named the scripts properly, but
    > when I try to open them, I get the error message:
    >
    > NameError: undefined local variable or method =91hello=92 for main:Objec=

    > from (irb):1
    > from C:/Ruby191/bin/irb:12:in =91<main>=92

    My apologies if the following is too elementary.

    I don't know how other users run Ruby programs from Microsoft Windows, but =
    mostly use batch files.
    Or, to be precise, one batch file which takes various parameters to run
    different Ruby programs using different versions of Ruby. (There are some
    online utilities to help you do that, but I've temporarily forgotten what
    they are called!)

    A simple version is the following. Suppose you save your ruby program as
    progname.rb in
    C:\ruby_programs_directory\
    or whatever you want to call the directory. (It doesn't have to be a
    directory in the root.)
    You can set up a Microsoft Windows batch file with the following command
    call "C:\ruby19\bin\ruby.exe" -v "C:\ruby_programs_directory\%1.rb"
    suppose we call that batch file rr.bat
    Then you can run the ruby program progname.rb by going into
    a Command Prompt window and typing.
    rr %1

    Does that help any?

    (As X Heruacles said, if you post the script you have written, and also the
    commands you are using to try to run it, then we may eb able to give you a
    correction. From the error message, you are trying to run the script in
    IRB?)

    Colin Bartlett, Jul 25, 2010
  5. Thank you all for your input. After reading the comments I took the
    advice of reading the two on-line tutorials, so this is where I am now:
    I have switched to a different computer that has the Windows XP
    operating system, have installed Ruby 1.9.1 on it (with ruby.exe located
    in ‘C:\Ruby191\bin’), I downloaded and installed the SciTE editor
    recommended by Mr. Neighborly’s Humble Little Ruby Book, and have been
    successful in getting the SciTE editor to open scripts located in
    ‘C:\Documents and Settings\Karl Halvorson\My Documents\Ruby\My Ruby
    Tutorial scripts’. The tutorials with this editor started out fine, I
    entered the text

    puts "Hello, World."

    Into the text editor, pressed go and got

    >ruby hello.rb

    Hello, World.
    >Exit code: 0

    To me that looked like it worked the way it was supposed to.
    I then went on to the next step and typed the following into the text
    editor:

    puts "Hello, World. What is your name?"
    myname = gets()
    puts "Well, hello there " + myname + "."

    I was instructed to save the file again, so I did, as hello2.rb, and ran
    it again from the editor by pressing go. What I returned in the right
    pane of the editor was:

    >ruby hello2.rb

    Also, the Windows Command Prompt opened up with
    ‘C:\Ruby191\bin\ruby.exe’ at the top in the menu bar, but nothing in the
    black screen except for a blinking cursor (see attached image1). I tried
    typing in the black screen, but was unable to. The tutorial stated, “you
    should see a greeting, be asked for your name, and then greeted by
    name.†None of this happened.

    Any suggestions what to try next?

    Also, Phaneee5, could you explain, in beginner language (step-by-step)
    what you mean by “Setting the PATH environment variable to the ruby->bin
    folderâ€, for this is not covered in any of the biginning tutorials that
    I have read? The part I really don’t understand is “Add this path to the
    PATH environment variable.†The path to ruby.exe on my computer is
    ‘C:\Ruby191\bin’, but what exactly is the ‘PATH environment variable’?
    and how exactly do I add ‘C:\Ruby191\bin’ to it?

    Thank you all again for your help.

    Phani Medicharla wrote:
    > Hello Karl,
    >
    > Try going through these books to get started in Ruby -
    > http://www.humblelittlerubybook.com/book/hlrb.pdf
    > http://www.sapphiresteel.com/The-Book-Of-Ruby
    >
    > I have quoted these as they are readily available on the internet for
    > free. And as pointed out by Heruacles, posting the code snippet with
    > which you have a problem will help the forum give you better answers.
    >
    > After you write code in notepad (try notepad++ or any other code editor
    > which will give you syntax highlighting, this will help you learn
    > easily) save the file with a .rb extension anywhere on your computer
    > (have a separate folder for this to keep your ruby files in one place).
    >
    > Setting the PATH environment variable to the ruby->bin folder helps you
    > launch the ruby interpreter from the command line (from any path). If
    > you have installed ruby in your C drive for e.g., the bin dir would be
    > c:\ruby-1.9.1\bin
    > Add this path to the PATH environment variable.
    >
    > After this, you can open command prompt, navigate to the path where you
    > saved your ruby file and type 'ruby filename'. For e.g, if you have
    > saved your file in a folder called 'my scripts' on D with the name
    > 'first.rb', you must type the following in the command prompt
    > D:\my scripts>ruby first.rb
    >
    > Karl Halvorson wrote:
    >> I am new to Ruby and have been looking for some basic beginner help. I
    >> have not been able to find a beginner forum anywhere, so I apologize if
    >> this is too basic a question for this group. I have installed ruby
    >> 1.9.1 on my windows 7 pc and have had success using interactive ruby
    >> (and the Windows command prompt). Where I am stuck is creating a script
    >> in notepad and then running that script. It seems a bit peculiar to me
    >> that all the beginning tutorials that I ahave tried just say to create
    >> these scripts, but they don’t mention where they need to be saved. I
    >> also have not come across any tutorials that cover configuring the ruby
    >> file path. I believe I have written and named the scripts properly, but
    >> when I try to open them, I get the error message:
    >>
    >> NameError: undefined local variable or method ‘hello’ for main:Object
    >> from (irb):1
    >> from C:/Ruby191/bin/irb:12:in ‘<main>’
    >>
    >> Any help would be much appreciated.

    Attachments:
    http://www.ruby-forum.com/attachment/4883/Image1.jpg

    Karl Halvorson, Jul 25, 2010
  6. Karl Halvorson

    James Guest

    > Thank you all for your input. After reading the comments I took the
    > advice of reading the two on-line tutorials, so this is where I am now:
    > I have switched to a different computer that has the Windows XP
    > operating system, have installed Ruby 1.9.1 on it (with ruby.exe located
    > in =91C:\Ruby191\bin=92), I downloaded and installed the SciTE editor
    > recommended by Mr. Neighborly=92s Humble Little Ruby Book, and have been
    > successful in getting the SciTE editor to open scripts located in
    > =91C:\Documents and Settings\Karl Halvorson\My Documents\Ruby\My Ruby
    > Tutorial scripts=92. The tutorials with this editor started out fine, I
    > entered the text
    >
    > puts "Hello, World."
    >
    > Into the text editor, pressed go and got
    >
    > >ruby hello.rb

    > Hello, World.
    > >Exit code: 0

    > To me that looked like it worked the way it was supposed to.

    Looks that way here, too. Good work!

    > I then went on to the next step and typed the following into the text
    > editor:
    >
    > puts "Hello, World. What is your name?"
    > myname =3D gets()
    > puts "Well, hello there " + myname + "."
    >
    > I was instructed to save the file again, so I did, as hello2.rb, and ran
    > it again from the editor by pressing go. What I returned in the right
    > pane of the editor was:
    >
    > >ruby hello2.rb

    > Also, the Windows Command Prompt opened up with
    > =91C:\Ruby191\bin\ruby.exe=92 at the top in the menu bar, but nothing in =

    the
    > black screen except for a blinking cursor (see attached image1). I tried
    > typing in the black screen, but was unable to. The tutorial stated, =93yo=

    > should see a greeting, be asked for your name, and then greeted by
    > name.=94 None of this happened.
    >
    > Any suggestions what to try next?

    Sure thing. I ran your code and saw the same output. So you're doing
    everything right, this is something with scite. I have no real idea what's
    happening to make the process hang, but a little research shows that it's
    related to the call to gets, and further research shows that this is a know=
    problem with scite.

    There's a solution, though! Running the script from the command prompt will
    work fine.

    StartMenu -> All Programs -> Ruby191 -> "Start Command Prompt with Ruby"
    cd "C:\Documents and Settings\Karl Halvorson\My Documents\Ruby\My
    Ruby Tutorial scripts"

    Now run the script using ruby! Type:
    ruby "name of script"

    > Also, Phaneee5, could you explain, in beginner language (step-by-step)
    > what you mean by =93Setting the PATH environment variable to the ruby->bi=

    > folder=94, for this is not covered in any of the biginning tutorials that
    > I have read? The part I really don=92t understand is =93Add this path to =

    the
    > PATH environment variable.=94 The path to ruby.exe on my computer is
    > =91C:\Ruby191\bin=92, but what exactly is the =91PATH environment variabl=

    e=92?
    > and how exactly do I add =91C:\Ruby191\bin=92 to it?
    >
    > Thank you all again for your help.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310519 discusses environment variables,
    including the PATH. With the ruby windows installer, you get the shortcut
    that we used above to start a command prompt with the right environment for
    using ruby. However, if you want you set up your environment so that it's
    always correct for running ruby from the command line, so that you can use =
    regular command prompt to run ruby programs instead of needing to use the
    specific shortcut that the installer gave you.

    James, Jul 26, 2010
  7. Thanks James!

    The scripts are working from 'Start Comand Promp with Ruby' as you
    instructed. I think the problem with the command prompt before was not
    first switching to the directory where the .rb files are located. I
    think it is odd that the three or more tutorials that I have looked at
    do not mention this.

    Thanks again for all your help.

    Karl Halvorson, Jul 27, 2010