Batch W3C Validation?

Wayfarer

Is there any way to submit a batch of web pages to W3C for HTML
validation? I'd like to make sure everything validates properly, but
after making lots of changes to a veritable plethora of pages, I'd
really like to avoid going one-by-one through the whole bunch.

TIA

Neill

C A Upsdell

Wayfarer said:
Is there any way to submit a batch of web pages to W3C for HTML
validation? I'd like to make sure everything validates properly, but
after making lots of changes to a veritable plethora of pages, I'd
really like to avoid going one-by-one through the whole bunch.

You could get aRealValidator from aRealValidator.com. Is costs little, is a
true validator, and can validate any number of files at once. I recommend
it highly.

Andrew Urquhart

*Wayfarer* said:
Is there any way to submit a batch of web pages to W3C for HTML
validation? I'd like to make sure everything validates properly, but
after making lots of changes to a veritable plethora of pages, I'd
really like to avoid going one-by-one through the whole bunch.

Various other validators, such as
http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/, allow site-wide [1]
validation.

__________________________________
[1] For some values of 'site-wide'

Big Bill

You could get aRealValidator from aRealValidator.com. Is costs little, is a
true validator, and can validate any number of files at once. I recommend
it highly.

Can it do them on the web (as opposed to a hard drive) and do a
report?

BB
www.kruse.co.uk
The home of SEO that's shiny!

Big Bill

Is there any way to submit a batch of web pages to W3C for HTML
validation? I'd like to make sure everything validates properly, but
after making lots of changes to a veritable plethora of pages, I'd
really like to avoid going one-by-one through the whole bunch.

TIA

Neill

I dunno about the W3C thingy but you can do this with the pro version
of the cse validator.

BB
www.kruse.co.uk
The home of SEO that's shiny!

C A Upsdell

Big Bill said:
Can it do them on the web (as opposed to a hard drive) and do a
report?

on the HD. which means you can use it BEFORE uploading any files.

Lauri Raittila

in said:
on the HD. which means you can use it BEFORE uploading any files.

Not everybody upload any files. It is simpler to edit them directly at
server...

David Dorward

C said:
You could get aRealValidator from aRealValidator.com. Is costs little, is
a true validator, and can validate any number of files at once. I
recommend it highly.

If you are on a UNIX or UNIX-like system you can download the WDG validator
(by the same author). This can then be used fairly easily to batch validate
sets of files.

find ~/sites/myexample -name \*html -exec /usr/bin/validate {} \;

Which then reports:

*** Errors validating /home/david/sites/myexample/index.html:
***
Error at line 48, character 70: end tag for "code" omitted; end tags are
required in XML for non-empty elements; empty elements require an
end tag or the start tag must end with "/>"
Error at line 48, character 77: end tag for element "code" which is not
open; try removing the end tag or check for improper nesting of
elements

.... and so on.

C A Upsdell

Lauri Raittila said:
Not everybody upload any files. It is simpler to edit them directly at
server...

Which would mean that, if you make a mistake, your site is unusable till you
fix it? This does not seem wise to me.

This would also mean that, if the server loses the files (it happens!), you
have no backup to restore them. This also does not seem wise to me.

Lauri Raittila

Much better option than editing stuff on home, unless you do have web
server installed locally with settings identical to server you upload.

And making random test page is faster.
Which would mean that, if you make a mistake, your site is unusable till you
fix it? This does not seem wise to me.

Well, I don't really edit the main version of website, when I am doing
some big changes. And of course I never make mistakes...
This would also mean that, if the server loses the files (it happens!), you
have no backup to restore them.

First, my server is much better backupped than my personal computer.
Never lost anything. Second, I do make backups on important stuff
regularly.