BDFL in wikipedia

Jorge Vargas

Hi I just hit this page in wikipedia BDFL[1]

and it redirected me to Guido's wikipedia[2] entry
now without causing any troubles (read flamewar) shouldn't

a) that page have an explanation of what BDFL is
b) shouldn't it mention Linus, Larry Wall, others?[3]
c) for the ones that have been around longer then me who was the first
being call like that?

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BDFL
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guido_van_Rossum
[3] http://www.answers.com/topic/list-of-benevolent-dictators-for-life

Carl Banks

Hi I just hit this page in wikipedia BDFL[1]

and it redirected me to Guido's wikipedia[2] entry
now without causing any troubles (read flamewar) shouldn't

a) that page have an explanation of what BDFL is
b) shouldn't it mention Linus, Larry Wall, others?[3]

Since when is Larry Wall benevolent? He should be called the SDFL.

:)

Carl Banks

Steven D'Aprano

a) that page have an explanation of what BDFL is
b) shouldn't it mention Linus, Larry Wall, others?[3]

Since when is Larry Wall benevolent? He should be called the SDFL.

:)

I can't think what the S stands for... if it was M, I'd say Malevolent,
but S?

Robin Becker

Carl Banks wrote:
Since when is Larry Wall benevolent? He should be called the SDFL.

even the great leader has been referred to as the MDFL :)

most language designers get to do it once and then recognize the result as
either beneficial or otherwise. The alternative is a constantly changing
language without any clear goal or endpoint. That's fine for some not for others.

Toby A Inkster

Steven said:
I can't think what the S stands for... if it was M, I'd say Malevolent,
but S?

Scented, Sexy, Spanish... no, probably not those.

I assume "Sadistic".

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
Geek of ~ HTML/SQL/Perl/PHP/Python*/Apache/Linux

* = I'm getting there!

Toby A Inkster

Jorge said:
shouldn't it mention Linus, Larry Wall, others?[3]

Despite the link you posted, I don't think Linus, Larry Wall, Rasmus
Lerdorf, etc describe themselves as BDFLs, even if they fulfil similar
roles within their respective development communities.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
Geek of ~ HTML/SQL/Perl/PHP/Python*/Apache/Linux
Now Playing ~ ./vol/music/snug/from_solar_to_polar/04_naked_+_smiling.ogg

* = I'm getting there!

Jorge Vargas

Jorge said:
shouldn't it mention Linus, Larry Wall, others?[3]

Despite the link you posted, I don't think Linus, Larry Wall, Rasmus
Lerdorf, etc describe themselves as BDFLs, even if they fulfil similar
roles within their respective development communities.
yea I just got that as an example, from around the web, I really
haven't follow the internals of any of those communities to be able to
know if they do or don't.