Beginner Advice Sought

jbeck

Looking for recommendations as to the top two or three books to use to begin
learning Java.

Also, recommendations for compilers?

Andrew Thompson

Sub: Beginner Advice Sought

...beginners are best helped on a different group, described here..
Looking for recommendations as to the top two or three books to use to begin
learning Java.

That depends, is Java the first language you are
learning? Are you already comfortable with OO
design from other OO languages?

Besides books, there are also the Sun Java tutorials,
an offline version of the JavaDocs is very useful as
well, as they are invaluable.

There are also a lot of good resources listed and
linked in my FAQ.
Also, recommendations for compilers?

Get it free from Sun*. It is called the J2SDK.

Or did you mean an IDE? The Sun Java compiler operates
from the command line, or can be called from any number
of IDE's, or ANT.

* there are other SDK's besides Sun's, but it is the
standard and it's free. Two points in it's favor.

HTH

--
Andrew Thompson

TechBookReport

jbeck said:
Looking for recommendations as to the top two or three books to use to begin
learning Java.

Also, recommendations for compilers?
For books take a look at:

Objects First With BlueJ
Head First Java
Deitel and Deitel

If you are already familiar with C++ or other object oriented language
then take a look at Bruce Eckel's Thinking In Java.

All of these are reviewed here at TechBookReport --
http://www.techbookreport.com/JavaIndex.html

And don't forget Sun's online tutorial - which is easily downloaded.

Pan

Andrew Thompson

I was considering using an IDE in my quest for learning the basics of
Java...unless there is a better approach, or reason to go with the
commandline compiler.

I recommend the command line, till you have the hang of it..
<http://www.xdweb.net/~dibblego/java/faq/answers.html#q34>

(Oh, OK! I'll admit that even I wanted an editor
that had keyword highlighting, so I use TextPad)

--
Andrew Thompson

TechBookReport

Joe said:
Thanks for the recommendations! Will look into them further. I had looked
around Suns site (as I stated to the other poster) and saw the online
tutorial...but was after something that I didn't have to tie up the phone
line to use (the one I saw didn't lend it'self to easy downloading for
offline use). Will hunt around on their site a bit more.

Again, I appreciate the help!

Joe

To download the tutorial:
http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/information/download.html

Good luck

Pan
TechBookReport: http://www.techbookreport.com/JavaIndex.html

Joe Beck

Andrew Thompson said:
..beginners are best helped on a different group, described here..

That depends, is Java the first language you are
learning? Are you already comfortable with OO
design from other OO languages?

Besides books, there are also the Sun Java tutorials,
an offline version of the JavaDocs is very useful as
well, as they are invaluable.

There are also a lot of good resources listed and
linked in my FAQ.

Get it free from Sun*. It is called the J2SDK.

Or did you mean an IDE? The Sun Java compiler operates
from the command line, or can be called from any number
of IDE's, or ANT.

* there are other SDK's besides Sun's, but it is the
standard and it's free. Two points in it's favor.

HTH

--
Andrew Thompson

Thanks for the reply! I have downloaded Suns J2SDK (don't ask how long it
took on dialup!)

I have limited success with C and am finishing up the basics of C++...I
consider myself a complete beginner at all of this! I learned C on a
command line editor, and learned C++ on an IDE...I like the IDE alot more!
I was considering using an IDE in my quest for learning the basics of
Java...unless there is a better approach, or reason to go with the
commandline compiler. Will be doing this on a Windows XP platform. Those
are my general thoughts on this. Thanks for the links. I had looked around
a bit on Suns site, but I guess I missed the easy to download documents.
Anything I can easily use off line is exactly what I am after.

Thanks again for the links and help!

Joe

Joe Beck

Joe Beck said:
Thanks for the reply! I have downloaded Suns J2SDK (don't ask how long it
took on dialup!)

I have limited success with C and am finishing up the basics of C++...I
consider myself a complete beginner at all of this! I learned C on a
command line editor, and learned C++ on an IDE...I like the IDE alot more!
I was considering using an IDE in my quest for learning the basics of
Java...unless there is a better approach, or reason to go with the
commandline compiler. Will be doing this on a Windows XP platform. Those
are my general thoughts on this. Thanks for the links. I had looked around
a bit on Suns site, but I guess I missed the easy to download documents.
Anything I can easily use off line is exactly what I am after.

Thanks again for the links and help!

Joe

And just for clarification, this is my last post here (at least until I can
be something other than a beginner). Future posts will be at the c.l.j.help
group.

Thanks again!

jbeck

Andrew Thompson said:
I recommend the command line, till you have the hang of it..
<http://www.xdweb.net/~dibblego/java/faq/answers.html#q34>

(Oh, OK! I'll admit that even I wanted an editor
that had keyword highlighting, so I use TextPad)

--
Andrew Thompson

Okay! Okay! Command line editor isn't as bad as I thought it would be!
Actually, kind a bit easier than I remember during my C experience (perhaps
it really did prepare me a bit more than I thought for this?)

I am currently trying Jedit (I got the copy off Sourceforge)...so far, so
good.

Thanks for the advice!

IchBin

jbeck said:
Looking for recommendations as to the top two or three books to use to begin
learning Java.

Also, recommendations for compilers?
As for an IDE, I would recommend an academic generated IDE called
JGRASP. I wish I had this IDE when I started to lean Java and C/C++. It
is free! Here is the site: http://www.jgrasp.org/

Here is their description of the IDE:

jGRASP is a lightweight development environment, created specifically to
provide automatic generation of software visualizations for the purpose
of improving the comprehensibility of software. jGRASP is implemented in
Java, and runs on all platforms with a Java Virtual Machine (Java
version 1.3 or higher). jGRASP produces CSD diagrams for Java, C, C++,
Objective-C, Ada, and VHDL; CPG diagrams for Java and Ada; UML diagrams
for Java; and has an integrated debugger and workbench for Java.

--

Thanks in Advance...
IchBin

'Laughter is inner jogging'
- Norman Cousins, editor and author (1915-1990)

IchBin

IchBin said:
[...]

Thank you very much for the link! I will look into it!

Is it me, or does it seem like some of the free stuff is as good, if not
better than commercial stuff. I used Dev-C++ for learning C++, and I think
it worked as well as anything else (and I tried about 3 or 4 different
ones...including two seperate versions of the same product from Microsoft).

For Java, I plan on using the command line based compiler for a bit
longer...at least until I *think* I know what I am doing! :)

Scott Ellsworth

"jbeck" <[email protected]> said:
Is it me, or does it seem like some of the free stuff is as good, if not
better than commercial stuff. I used Dev-C++ for learning C++, and I think
it worked as well as anything else (and I tried about 3 or 4 different
ones...including two seperate versions of the same product from Microsoft).

It really varies. I find Eclipse good in most ways, but because the
project file format is binary and closed, I have to manually generate
projects when my clients change them.

IDEA, on the other hand, uses plain old xml. One XSLT later, and i have
the hundred or so modules made, and the requisite projects generated.
Darn cool.

I understand this should be an easy Eclipse plugin, but I am not up to
creating such a beast right now.
For Java, I plan on using the command line based compiler for a bit
longer...at least until I *think* I know what I am doing! :)

You learn a lot that way. I find IDEs useful, but it really depends on
what you need.

Scott