beginner java compiler for xp

Jeroen van Vliet

Hello im trying to learn Java, i downloaded JDK for windows, but i cant run
javac.exe Xp doesnt have autoexec.bat, is there another compiler that works
for xp?

Thanks

Jeroen

Adrian Tappe

javac.exe Xp doesnt have autoexec.bat, (...)

Does the compiler really not work (if you are in the directory where the
javac.exe is)?
javac.exe Xp doesnt have autoexec.bat, (...)

I suppose you just have problems setting the clath path.

"Start - ControllPanel - System - Advanced - EnvironmentVariables"
There schold be a path var.

bye

Adrian

Jeroen van Vliet

ye thanks, there is a path variable, but when i put the full path in
there, its just not working, i saw ontother path with %% i dont know how
this works, the compiler itself works but i need to make it global

Mark 'Kamikaze' Hughes

Jeroen van Vliet said:
Hello im trying to learn Java, i downloaded JDK for windows, but i cant run
javac.exe Xp doesnt have autoexec.bat, is there another compiler that works
for xp?

Another compiler won't solve the problem. The problem is that your
shell doesn't have C:\jdkWHATEVER\bin in its PATH variable, so it can't
find javac.exe, java.exe, or anything else.

On "My Computer", there's a button to "Set Environment Vars". Find
the PATH variable, and add:
C:\jdkWHATEVER\bin;
to the start of its value.

Close your current command window, open a new one, and type:
javac -help
to see that it's really visible.

The Windoze installer used to set the PATH automatically, but the
newer ones do not; they only add a desktop association for .jar files.

Mickey Segal

Jeroen van Vliet said:
Hello im trying to learn Java, i downloaded JDK for windows, but i cant run
javac.exe Xp doesnt have autoexec.bat, is there another compiler that works
for xp?

If you are trying to run an old Java compiler such as JDK 1.1.8 it will not
run on Windows XP. I don't know the first version that works, but the
current version should work.

ak

If you are trying to run an old Java compiler such as JDK 1.1.8 it will
not
run on Windows XP. I don't know the first version that works, but the
current version should work.

I run javac 1.1.8 on WinXP - it works.

____________

http://reader.imagero.com the best java image reader.

Mickey Segal

ak said:
I run javac 1.1.8 on WinXP - it works.

Interesting. In November this came up and a bunch of people said it didn't
work, which was my experience too. If you have any insights as to why it
would work for some and not for others that would be interesting. It runs
fine for me on Windows 98 and Windows 98 SE.

ak

Interesting. In November this came up and a bunch of people said it
didn't
work, which was my experience too. If you have any insights as to why it
would work for some and not for others that would be interesting. It runs
fine for me on Windows 98 and Windows 98 SE.
hmm, I had never problems with 1.1.8 - win98SE, win2k, winXP (professional)
1.1.8 is a little bit ugli but it works. I use it with IntelliJ IDEA, but I
am sure I works also standalone.

http://reader.imagero.com the best java image reader.