Beginner's project

Discussion in 'Java' started by Howard Brazee, Nov 15, 2006.

  1. I'm creating a lesson plan for people learning at their own pace. I
    was told to start off with a simple application that can be added to
    in many ways. I'd like to avoid JavaScript, and would love it if
    they ended up using XML. Everybody has or will have JBuilder and
    Resin.

    What I think I will do is set up a Sudoko screen, but I'm not sure
    what the best steps (and order) are - nor the best way to add Java,
    and would like feedback.

    1. Create a hard web pages with hard coded numbers, and unprotected
    cells.
    2. Change this to read in a table, with protected and unprotected
    cells.
    3. Add logic to read the screen and check the answers. (ignore
    multiple values in a cell)
    4. With step 3, we can turn this into a pseudo-conversational quiz,
    allowing the back-button to go back.
    5. Add style sheet(s).
    6. Modify logic for different size and shaped cells.
    7. Make this a client-server application.
    8. Add helper logic, generator logic, or solver logic as optional.

    I will be doing much of the learning, trying to say ahead of students.
    Howard Brazee, Nov 15, 2006

  2. Howard Brazee

    Mich Guest

    "Howard Brazee" <> wrote in message
    > I'm creating a lesson plan for people learning at their own pace. I
    > was told to start off with a simple application that can be added to
    > in many ways. I'd like to avoid JavaScript, and would love it if
    > they ended up using XML. Everybody has or will have JBuilder and
    > Resin.

    Why not work with a local company that needs sonme type of e-commerce site?
    You can't do any better than having to deal with a real-world project.
    Mich, Nov 15, 2006

  3. Howard Brazee

    Guest

    I always like the idea of having them develope a testing engine, like
    for mock exams. They can port it to a standalone app, a web app, a
    Struts app, etc. Plus, it's an exam application, so to test it, they
    actually have to answer questions.

    If the questions were in an xml format, you could integrate XML into
    the site.

    By the way, I have a bunch of free multimedia tutorials on Java and
    J2EE development at www.mcnz.com, so, if you have Java beginners, it's
    a great place to send them.

    Cheers!

    -Cameron McKenzie
    Author of the SCJA Certification Guide and What is WebSphere?

    Certification Resources: www.examscam.com
    Free WebSphere Tutorials: www.pulpjava.com
    Free Mock Java Certification Exams: www.scja.com
    Free J2EE and Java Multimedia Tutorials: www.mcnz.com

    Mich wrote:
    > "Howard Brazee" <> wrote in message
    > > I'm creating a lesson plan for people learning at their own pace. I
    > > was told to start off with a simple application that can be added to
    > > in many ways. I'd like to avoid JavaScript, and would love it if
    > > they ended up using XML. Everybody has or will have JBuilder and
    > > Resin.

    > Why not work with a local company that needs sonme type of e-commerce site?
    > You can't do any better than having to deal with a real-world project.
    , Nov 15, 2006