Best Design: user controls, single class, etc. for entire site

Jordan

I'm converting a section of our website into the .NET framework (the rest
will follow sooner or later). I'd certainly like to maintain all the dynamic
capabilities as well as implement some new features - some are database
driven, others use the lookup object and application object string/arrays.
My question is, how should I go about implementing dynamic "portions" of the
site: user controls, classes, code-behinds?

For example, if I want to display a list of products on one of my pages, but
I'd like to use this same functionality later in several other pages, what's
the best method - i have a user control designed at this point, is this the
best/reusable/maintable solution?

What about implementing dynamic navigation - this has to be done on
everypage, so should everypage have a usercontrol, or a class that inherits
from the page that finds the placeholder control and "fills it in"?

Is there a resource that answers these types of questions?

Thanks, j

Karl Seguin

i think you are right on both tracks. User controls aren't the most
reusable, but if you are talking about a single website they are fine (they
just don't share well across multiple projects)...the alternative being the
far more complicated server controls. From what you describe (your product
list), having a solid user control with a strong business and datalayer will
give you everything you need.

You probably want to look at simple solutions like Master Pages
(http://www.metabuilders.com/Tools/MasterPages.aspx (free)) before
implementing any base-page logic. I find master pages both more flexible
and cleaner.

Karl