Best way to Deploy an ASP.NET project

Guest

Hi,

I need to deploy an ASP.NET project (backend SQL database)on the Web Server.
I HAVE access to the Web Server & all the rights too.

What is the BEST WAY for deploying this application coz I tried the
deployment using Windows Installer but when I tried to open the home page in
the browser, I got the error , "Server Error : SQL Server does not exist or
access denied". I think this is because the SQL database is in the
Development server & I am deploying the project on Web Server. Also , all the
databases are in another server called DB Server.

So I need to put this database in DB Server & also (I think) attach the
database file so that the project can be successfully deployed on the Web
Server.How to go about doing this? I have searched many links for this but
couldnt get any walkthrough which would demonstrate this.

Please help.

Thanks

jongalloway

Here's a high level overview to get you started. This is one of the
trickiest parts of developing a web application, so hopfully some other
people will fill in some details.

I think the most reliable way to get your database from your
development database server to your production server is to do a backup
/ restore. You can also copy a database and all objects using DTS in
Enterprise Manager or with the Copy Database Wizard, but I've had the
best results with a simple backup / restore.

You'll need to figure out the the connection string to talk to the new
database. You've already configured this to point at your development
SQL Server; you'll probably want to move this connection string to your
web.config file so you can use the same code on your development and
production server. Here are some links to get you started there:
http://www.extremeexperts.com/Net/FAQ/StoringConnectionString.aspx
- Jon
http://weblogs.asp.net/jgalloway

Jeff Louie

If all else fails try halting the database and do sp_detach_db
'yourDatabase',
'true' and then move the mdf and ldf files to the production server and
sp_attach_db 'yourDatabase','path to .mdf','path to ldf'

Regards,
Jeff