Best way to download >1GB files

thefed

What are you talking about? I don't get it. Yes, after I snipe at
newbies, I say wouldn't it be great if we could just let Zed handle
it. Because he's better at it. Where does a pot and a kettle enter the
equation?

Thou art nub, good sir

ccheetham

Interesting. I just tried downloading a 6.1MB file with open-uri and
didn't see that behavior. I'm using Ruby 1.8.6 on OS X 10.5.

Hmmm ... fetching a ~5MB file over HTTP, the entire file was
downloaded prior to the 8192 chunk reads. Ruby 1.8.6 p111 on Solaris
2.11. Same behavior with JRuby. FWIW, I'm observing interface stats
to make my determination.

Tim Hunter

Hmmm ... fetching a ~5MB file over HTTP, the entire file was
downloaded prior to the 8192 chunk reads. Ruby 1.8.6 p111 on Solaris
2.11. Same behavior with JRuby. FWIW, I'm observing interface stats
to make my determination.

Fascinating. Learning every day...

*Where* did it download the file to? Did it write it to disk or just
keep it all in memory?